Energy of the Fourier Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier series and its relationship with the energy in the original function. The example function y=3t has a period of 2∏ and its Fourier coefficients include a dc average of 3∏ and sine terms with an amplitude of -6/n. Using Persavals theorem, the energy in the Fourier series can be determined. It is possible to reach a stable value using about 13 harmonics, but it is unclear how to reach the limiting value of convergence. The question is whether there are tests to determine this value or if it is something that must be reached through trial and error. Additionally, it is asked if the energy difference will be 0 at this limiting value. The conversation also
Jag1972
I have been trying to understand the Fourier series and the relationship between the energy in the original function and its Fourier representation. The example function: y = 3t has a period of 2∏. The Fourier coefficients are:

The Fourier representation has a dc average of 3∏, it has no cosine terms but does have sine terms with amplitude equal to -6/n.

Using Persavals thereom I can determine the energy in the Fourier series:

[itex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex] [itex]3t^{2}[/itex] dt = [itex]a0/2^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\sum bn^{n}[/itex]

After using about 13 harmonics I got it to 99% of the energy of the original function. I do not know how to get to a limiting value which I think is called convergence. A stable value reached, if there is no stable value then the function diverges. I know there are tests for convergence and divergence but these will not give actual limiting values. My question is that how does one know what the actual limiting value is orthis just something we have to reach ourselves, also would the energy difference be 0 at this limiting value. I hope it will be.
Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is not an electrical for Fourier question. You are asking about convergence of any infinite series.

1. What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical method for representing a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine waves with different amplitudes, frequencies, and phases. It is named after the French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering to analyze and describe complex periodic phenomena.

2. How is the energy of the Fourier series calculated?

The energy of a Fourier series is typically calculated by taking the square of each coefficient in the series, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum. This gives the root mean square (RMS) value of the series, which represents the overall energy or amplitude of the periodic function being analyzed.

3. What is the significance of the energy of the Fourier series?

The energy of the Fourier series is an important measure that can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of a periodic function. It can help determine the dominant frequencies and amplitudes present in the function, and can also be used to compare and analyze different functions or signals.

4. Can the energy of the Fourier series be negative?

No, the energy of a Fourier series cannot be negative. This is because it is calculated by taking the square root of a sum of squared values, which will always result in a positive number. A negative value would indicate an error in the calculation or an invalid series.

5. How does the energy of the Fourier series relate to the shape of the function it represents?

The energy of the Fourier series is directly related to the amplitude of the function it represents. A higher energy value indicates a larger amplitude, while a lower energy value indicates a smaller amplitude. This can help visualize and understand the shape and behavior of the function, particularly in terms of its peaks and valleys.