Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of the Universe

1. Nov 20, 2012 #1
    Seeing as energy is conserved throughout the universe, did all the energy of the universe begin at the same time as our universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I THINK it works like this: conservation of energy, as far as is presently known, is a local phenomenon and may not hold across cosmological distances, so conservation of energy throughout even the observable universe is unknown, and certainly is unknown throughout the entire universe.

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ordinary matter, dark matter, and ordinary energy are conserved, although interchangeable. Dark energy is increasing with the expansion of the universe.

Note: this is my understanding - I could be wrong.

5. Nov 20, 2012 #4
    So, would it be safe to assume that the universe is gaining energy as it expands or would it be impossible to tell

6. Nov 20, 2012 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, so much so that I have heard one theory, I think posted here on this forum, that the universe moves towards a singularity of infinite energy density because of the exponential overall increase in dark energy. I have no idea how solid that theory is.

7. Nov 20, 2012 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I believe light loses energy over time due to redshift from expansion.

8. Nov 20, 2012 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, it's been making me a little tired too.

9. Nov 20, 2012 #8

Drakkith

Have you been expanding recently Phinds?

10. Nov 20, 2012 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Absolutely, and with Thanksgiving on a couple days away I fear further expansion. :smile:

11. Nov 20, 2012 #10

Drakkith

Have some turkey for me, as I fear I will not have the opportunity to enjoy any.

12. Nov 20, 2012 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why? I thought they served turkey to the inmates. You mean it's the same old prison food even on Thanksgiving?

13. Nov 20, 2012 #12
    Michio says that the strings of M-Theory vibrate throughout 11 dimensional hyperspace, he also says that the dimensions are curled up so tiny we cant see them, so when our universe first started, by whatever means, 3 of the ten spatial dimensions "popped" out while the other 7 stayed tucked away, and if the universe is getting larger through dark energy couldn't dark energy be the strings blowing up three dimensions of the ten that are tucked into them?

14. Nov 20, 2012 #13

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dont let him fool you, phinds, they hand out turkey 'nuggets' like candy in the joint over the holidays.

15. Nov 20, 2012 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Interesting but fanciful speculation. Do you have any references to mainstream physics discussing that? If not, it is against forum rules (unsubstantiated personal speculation).

EDIT: I mean OTHER than TV personalities (Kaku USED to be a serious physicist but is now a popularizer of the worst sort)

16. Nov 20, 2012 #15

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, Dr. Kaku frequently speaks of M-theory as if it were Newtons theory of gravity - well accepted and revered by mainstream science. It is not. But, he does create this impression with lay people via this questionable tactic.

17. Nov 20, 2012 #16
    Sorry for the speculation, just wondering if It could be plausible.

18. Nov 20, 2012 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I said, it IS an interesting speculation but the mods are pretty strict, and I believe with excellent reason, about keeping this forum devoted to established science.

19. Nov 20, 2012 #18

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The mods tend to be fairly even handed so long as we stay scientific.

20. Nov 21, 2012 #19

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

It's incredibly unlikely. Pure speculation with nothing approaching a realistic model, and some good reasons to expect it's impossible.

21. Nov 21, 2012 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks. Yeah, it sounded pretty weird to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook