Energy of visible light

• Thread starter s0610038
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey guys, it is possible that to observe the energy outcome of visible light?
By adding colored frame in front of the light source and shined on a beaker with water
Using data logger to record the data, how long should I take the experiment? Thanks for helping

Answers and Replies

BruceW
Homework Helper
This experiment would measure how easily a particular wavelength of light is absorbed by the water, not how much energy the photon contains.

By using the specific heat capacity theory.. C=J/m x change of temp
By doing that experiment I have the data if specific heat capacity of water, and the mass of water before I started the experiment.
The change of temperature will be determined by the data logger during the experiment.
Can I obtain the energy by using this formula? Thanks

BruceW
Homework Helper
Yes, I think that would work (assuming no energy is lost as heat to surroundings), and it gives the energy of light absorbed by the water (not total incident light energy)

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The problem with your water is that alot of the light will still pass through it. I would say it would be better to replace it with something solid and non-reflective, OR change your experiment up and do something like the photoelectric experiment.

SpectraCat
Science Advisor
You can try the experiment, but I doubt you will see much. Why are you expecting water to absorb enough visible light to register a change in temperature?