Calculating Escape Velocity for a Small Asteroid with Given Initial Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the escape speed of a small asteroid and the final speed of a rock thrown away from it. The equation used to solve for the final speed involves kinetic and potential energy, as well as the initial and final velocities. However, the necessary values such as radius and mass are not given. The relationship between the asteroid's escape velocity and the final speed of the rock is not clear.
Berkshire

Homework Statement

The escape speed from a very small asteroid is only 28 m/s. If you throw a rock away from the asteroid at a speed of 39 m/s, what will be its final speed?
Vesc= 28m/s
Vi= 39 m/s

Homework Equations

Ks,f + Ke,f + Uf = Ks,i + Ke,i + Ui +W
Vi=sqrt(2GM/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the first equation gets simplfied to
0=.5mv^2 + (-GM/r)
Vi=sqrt(2GM/r)

But I don't have radius or mass of my asteroid and I don't have any equations that incorporate the final velocity...

But I can't figure out how to

Physics news on Phys.org
How can you relate the asteroid's escape velocity to the values you're looking for?

What is the Energy Principle?

The Energy Principle is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

How does the Energy Principle apply to everyday life?

The Energy Principle applies to everyday life in many ways, such as in the conversion of food into energy for our bodies, the burning of fuel for transportation, and the generation of electricity for our homes and devices.

What are the different forms of energy according to the Energy Principle?

The different forms of energy according to the Energy Principle include thermal energy, mechanical energy, chemical energy, electrical energy, and nuclear energy.

How is the Energy Principle related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The Energy Principle is closely related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy is conserved and that there is a natural tendency for systems to become more disordered over time.

What are some practical applications of the Energy Principle?

The Energy Principle has many practical applications, such as in the development of renewable energy sources, the design of more efficient machines and processes, and the understanding of energy transfer in various systems.