Energy problem and rotation

In summary: So it's actually orbiting around the Earth every 24 hours, not just once.In summary, to put this satellite into orbit, the energy required is 1.68*1011 Joules.
minifhncc

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass 190kg is placed in orbit 4.5 * 105 m above the surface of the Earth. Find the energy required to put this satellite into this orbit. Ignore air resistance but include Earth's daily rotation in your calculations.

Homework Equations

r^3/T^2 = GM/(4Pi^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the change in potiential energy (F=-GmM/R) which yielded 1.68*1011. However I don't think is correct since it doesn't include the rotation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi minifhncc! :smile:
minifhncc said:
I calculated the change in potential energy …

How about the change in kinetic energy ? :wink:

You need to consider the change in both potential and kinetic energy. For change in kinetic energy it seems you need to make some assumptions about where on the Earth the satellite is launched from (for instance, near equator) and into which orbit it is placed (for instance, an east-ward equatorial orbit).

Hi, the change in kinetic energy is the work done, but the change in gravi. potiential energy is also work done... but obviously they would yield different values. What's the difference between these values? (ie. change in K.E. and change in G.P.E)

Thanks

Hi again,

I've been trying to get my head around this question. But I don't know how I can include the rotation of the Earth.

Also, what velocity would I use? I worked out the velocity that the satellite should have if it was orbiting at that radius (it was about 7000 m/s, using Kepler's law of periods), but wouldn't that be tangential to the Earth?

Furthermore, how would I consider both the G.P.E. and K.E. ? I really don't get this part.

Thanks again

Hi minifhncc! :smile:
minifhncc said:
Hi, the change in kinetic energy is the work done, but the change in gravi. potiential energy is also work done... but obviously they would yield different values. What's the difference between these values? (ie. change in K.E. and change in G.P.E)

Yes, PE is defined as (minus) the work done (by a conservative field, such as gravity).

But how are you going to calcuate the work done in manoeuvring the rocket into orbit?

Just use the definition of KE, not some long short-cut. :wink:
minifhncc said:
… I don't know how I can include the rotation of the Earth.

Also, what velocity would I use? I worked out the velocity that the satellite should have if it was orbiting at that radius (it was about 7000 m/s, using Kepler's law of periods), but wouldn't that be tangential to the Earth?

Furthermore, how would I consider both the G.P.E. and K.E. ? I really don't get this part.

∆KE is 1/2 mv22 - 1/2 mv12, and PE you already know.

v2 you can calculate from Newton's law of gravitation, the value of g at the Earth's surface, and the formula for centripetal acceleration

v2 you can calculate from the radius of the Earth and the length of a day (assuming that the launch is, as Filip Larsen :smile: says, from the equator).

Hi again,

I understand what K.E. is, but I'm not sure how I'd use the value I get from the change in G.P.E. and the value I get from K.E.

Would I add them together?

v2 you can calculate from Newton's law of gravitation, the value of g at the Earth's surface, and the formula for centripetal acceleration
Wouldn't you mean v1?

Thanks

minifhncc said:
I understand what K.E. is, but I'm not sure how I'd use the value I get from the change in G.P.E. and the value I get from K.E.

Would I add them together?

yes … that's the great thing about the different forms of energy, they're interchangeable, you just add them. :biggrin:
Wouldn't you mean v1?

oops! :redface: :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
yes … that's the great thing about the different forms of energy, they're interchangeable, you just add them. :biggrin:

Okay thanks for that.

So, I'd find the orbital speed of the mass at the surface (v=(GM/r)^(1/2)) and then use this as v1? But then how would I account for the length of a day using this method?

Thanks

minifhncc said:
So, I'd find the orbital speed of the mass at the surface (v=(GM/r)^(1/2)) and then use this as v1?

No! the rocket isn't in orbit on the surface, it's just going with the flow, like you and me. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
No! the rocket isn't in orbit on the surface, it's just going with the flow, like you and me. :wink:

Umm okay, then does that mean v1 = 0?

Sorry for all these questions that may appear elementary to you, I'm usually okay at Physics, but this one is really doing my head in :(

minifhncc said:
Umm okay, then does that mean v1 = 0?

No, if it's on the equator, it'll be going round the circumference of the Earth every 24 hours.

tiny-tim said:
No, if it's on the equator, it'll be going round the circumference of the Earth every 24 hours.
Sorry I'm really not getting this then... :( If I'm not supposed to use v=sqrt(GM/r) as the orbit speed of the rocket at the surface of the Earth, then what value of v1 am I supposed to use?

How would I take into account the daily orbit of the Earth's rotation (which I'd guess that you'd need to somehow need to use Period, T = 24 * 60 * 60 seconds).

Again I apologise if this seem really elementary to you, it's really starting to annoy me :(

EDIT: I've realized that you probably meant, to find v1 that I use v^2/r = 9.8 (where r is the avg. radius of the Earth)... but the question still remains as to how I should take into account the Earth's daily motion...

As seen from outside the Earth (from an inertial reference frame not rotating with the Earth - like you watching a rotating desktop Earth globe) the Earth is rotating once per sidereal day (almost 24h) and anything standing still on a point on the equator will make a uniform circular motion. Knowing the rotation rate and circumference (or radius) of this motion you can calculate the tangential speed of the satellite before launch.

For the PE you use the difference in GM/r (you've already done that).

For the KE you use the difference in 1/2 mv2

v2 is the final speed, which happens to be the orbital speed.

v1 is the initial speed, which is when the satellite is in your garage.

Your garage goes round in a large circle every 24 hours … what speed is that?

tiny-tim said:
Your garage goes round in a large circle every 24 hours … what speed is that?
Is it just v=(2*Pi*r)/T where r=avg radius of the Earth and T=24*60*60?

Yup! :biggrin:

(though you may as well take the actual equatorial radius, if you're going to take it to the equator and launch it there :wink:)

Hey again,

I've got another question (which hopefully will be the last). For the given question, I got that the total energy required = 6.31*10^9 J could someone please confirm this answer?

Also, for the speed of the satellite on the Earth, when I use mv^2/r = 9.8, I get v=573 m/s (m=190kg, r = 6.37 * 10^6) and when I use v=(2*Pi*r)/T I get 463 m/s (approx) (r=6.37*10^6, T=24*60*60). Which way is correct?

I understand that it may be some errors dues to the rounding in the constants given... Could someone please clarify?

Thanks again :D

minifhncc said:
For the given question, I got that the total energy required = 6.31*10^9 J could someone please confirm this answer?

I get a result very close to that value.

Also, for the speed of the satellite on the Earth, when I use mv^2/r = 9.8, I get v=573 m/s (m=190kg, r = 6.37 * 10^6) and when I use v=(2*Pi*r)/T I get 463 m/s (approx) (r=6.37*10^6, T=24*60*60). Which way is correct?

The last one (the actual value is around 465 m/s because the rotation period of the Earth relative to the stars is around 4 minutes less than 24 h).

The first relation you mention does not make sense to me. I can't really guess how you derived it, but if you look at the physical dimension of the involved variables you can quickly conclude that is does not represent a physical valid relationship (unless the 9.8 has dimension energy per length :smile:).

Filip Larsen said:
I get a result very close to that value.
That's reassuring :D

The first relation you mention does not make sense to me. I can't really guess how you derived it, but if you look at the physical dimension of the involved variables you can quickly conclude that is does not represent a physical valid relationship (unless the 9.8 has dimension energy per length :smile:).
Ahh sorry. I messed up between centripetal acceleration (which is 9.8 m/s^2 at the surface), and force... In any case I don't think that applies here since the satellite at the surface is not in orbit.

All good now. Thanks a lot :D

minifhncc said:
… I messed up between centripetal acceleration (which is 9.8 m/s^2 at the surface), and force... In any case I don't think that applies here since the satellite at the surface is not in orbit.

That's right …

v2/r = 9.8 would give you the speed at which Newton would have had to throw his apple to get it into orbit! :biggrin:

What is the energy problem?

The energy problem refers to the challenge of meeting the increasing global demand for energy while also reducing the negative impacts on the environment and mitigating climate change. It involves finding sustainable and efficient ways to produce, distribute, and use energy.

How is energy produced and distributed?

Energy is produced through various processes such as burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, and renewable sources like wind and solar. It is then distributed through power grids, pipelines, and other infrastructure to homes, businesses, and industries.

What are the consequences of the energy problem?

The energy problem has several consequences, including air pollution, water pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions. It also contributes to the depletion of non-renewable resources and can lead to geopolitical tensions and conflicts over energy resources.

What is rotation and how does it relate to energy?

Rotation is the movement of an object around its own axis. In the context of energy, it can refer to the rotation of turbines in a power plant, which converts the energy of moving water, steam, or wind into electricity. Rotation is also used in mechanical systems to transfer energy from one form to another.

What are some solutions to the energy problem?

There are various solutions to the energy problem, including transitioning to renewable energy sources, improving energy efficiency in buildings and transportation, and implementing carbon capture and storage technologies. It also involves changing consumer behavior and promoting sustainable energy practices.