Kinetic Energy: Trial 1 vs. Trial 2

In summary: However, there is a more fundamental problem with your reasoning if you assume a non-inertial frame of reference. Without knowing more about the dynamics of your system, it is difficult to say which of the two trials has a greater speed.
Amik
Homework Statement
See the picture
Relevant Equations
Conservation of momentum and energy
So, I know the right solution should be like it has same potential energy initially, in the trial one, since the floor is frictionless, the plane will move too and it shares the potential energy with the block. So in trial 1 the potential energy equals final kinetic energy of the block and plane. But in trial 2, all potential energy goes to block and thus in trial 2, the block will have greater speed
But, Can I do it this way?
In both trials, the block will have the same velocity on the plane with respect to the plane(not the ground), However, according to conservation of momentum, In trial 1, when block speed up on the plane, the plane will have horizontal velocity deirected to the left too. So the velocity of the block in trial 1 is always the horizontal component of the velocity of the block minus the horizontal component of the velocity of the plane but in trial 2 the velocity in trial 2 is always the horizontal component of the velocity of the block. So I think the velocity in trial 2 is larger.
Is there any problem with second way to do it?

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-13 233515.png
    Annotation 2020-04-13 233515.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 133
Physics news on Phys.org
Amik said:
In both trials, the block will have the same velocity on the plane with respect to the plane
How so?

For plane I mean the incline. Because in both senarios blocks are only subject component of force of gravity(that force is parallel to the surface)
I might be wrong.

Amik said:
For plane I mean the incline. Because in both senarios blocks are only subject component of force of gravity(that force is parallel to the surface)
I might be wrong.
The frame of reference of the (sliding) plane is non-inertial, so you need to include a pseudo force on the block to represent the plane's acceleration.

OK. This is only AP level problem. Dioes that mean my explanation is entirely wrong?

Amik said:
OK. This is only AP level problem. Dioes that mean my explanation is entirely wrong?
First, the statement of yours that I quoted in post #2 is not obviously true so you cannot use that argument without more detailed reasoning.
Your explanation in post #3 leans on use of a non-inertial frame, so needs to be particularly careful. In particular, you have omitted the pseudo force that needs to be included in such a frame.
Your explanation might still work if you include the pseudo force and develop the relevant equations.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a form of mechanical energy and is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between Trial 1 and Trial 2 in terms of kinetic energy?

The difference between Trial 1 and Trial 2 in terms of kinetic energy is that they represent two different experiments or trials with different conditions. The kinetic energy in each trial may be different due to changes in the mass or velocity of the object.

4. Why is it important to compare Trial 1 and Trial 2 in terms of kinetic energy?

Comparing Trial 1 and Trial 2 in terms of kinetic energy allows us to analyze and understand the impact of different variables on the energy of an object. This information can be useful in predicting and controlling the motion and energy of objects in various situations.

5. How can the results of Trial 1 and Trial 2 be used in further research?

The results of Trial 1 and Trial 2 can be used as a basis for further research in the field of kinetic energy. They can be compared to other trials or experiments to gain a deeper understanding of the factors that affect kinetic energy and how it can be manipulated or harnessed for various purposes.