1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy problem on bungee jumper

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    I'm having trouble solving this problem. can n e one help me?

A bungee jumper of mass 64.5 kg (including safety gear) is
    standing on a platform 48.0 m above a river. The length of
    the unstretched bungee cord is 10.1 m. The force constant
    of the cord is 65.5 N/m. The jumper falls from rest and just
    touches the water at a speed of zero. The cord acts like an
    ideal spring. Use conservation of energy to determine the
    jumper’s speed at a height of 12.5 m above the water on
    the first fall.

I used the work equation to find the total energy, then subtracted the elastic potential energy and gravitational potential energy at 12.5m above ground. Then i solved for Ek, and used THAT equation to solve for speed.
    i got 9.29m/s, but the answer is 6.37m/s.

What did i do wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2
    What were the numbers that you put into the term for elastic potential energy?
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    elastic potential energy is E = 0.5 kx^2, right?

I put: k = 65.5, x = 35.5 FIRST, but then i ended up getting a negative answer, so i used x = 12.5.

But is what i tried to do correct, did i miss anything? I'm starting to think that i calculated the total energy wrong. What did you get for total energy?
  5. Oct 16, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Both x = 35.5 m and x = 12.5 m are wrong. How much is the cord stretched (beyond its unstretched length) when the jumper is 12.5 m above the water?
  6. Nov 1, 2004 #5
    you should find the "delta X", by this equation: mgh=.5kx^2, I got 30.45 m for delta X,
    then you should put this value in the equation: mgh=.5kx^2+mgh`+.5mv^2 and find the velocity..the initial X, 10.1, is extra in the given problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?