Calculating Work Done on Karen by Woodley Park Station Escalator

My bad. But yes, the calculation is correct. In summary, Karen's work on the escalator at Woodley Park Station was calculated to be 15457.28285J, with a force of 259.786N and a displacement of 59.5m, assuming an angle of 29.4 degrees between the force and displacement.
lzh

Homework Statement

Karen has a mass of 54 kg as she rides the
up escalator at Woodley Park Station of the
Washington D.C. Metro. Karen rode a dis-
tance of 59:5 m, the longest escalator in the
free world.
The acceleration of gravity is 9:8 m=s2 :
How much work did the escalator do on
Karen if it has an inclination of 29:4±? Answer
in units of J.

Homework Equations

W=F*x*cos(theta)
where F= force, x is displacement and theta is the angle between the 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew a force diagram. And used it to figure out this:
mg=529.2N
F=529.2*cos60.6=259.786N <-force of escalator
Next i plugged it into the Work equation:
the angle between the displacement and force is 0, so cos(theta)=1:
W=259.786*59.5*1=15457.28285J

is this right? I just need a confirmation, because I can't afford to get this wrong. Ty in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good!

but using 60 instead of the exact value makes your answer inaccurate

60? for:
F=529.2*cos60.6=259.786N <-force of escalator

haha, sorry, I didn't see the .6

1. How do you calculate the work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator?

The work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to Karen by the distance she travels on the escalator. This is represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What units are used to measure work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator?

The SI unit for work is joules (J). However, work can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal).

3. Is the work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator positive or negative?

The work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator is positive. This is because the force applied by the escalator is in the same direction as Karen's displacement, resulting in a positive value for work.

4. What factors affect the work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator?

The work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator is affected by the force applied by the escalator, the distance Karen travels on the escalator, and the angle at which Karen is moving on the escalator.

5. Is the work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator the same for every person?

No, the work done on Karen by the Woodley Park Station escalator may vary for different individuals. This is because it depends on their weight, speed, and position on the escalator. A heavier person may require more force and work to be done on them by the escalator compared to a lighter person.