Calculating Distance of Block Sliding Down Ramp

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a block sliding down a frictionless ramp with specific height measurements. The goal is to calculate the distance the block travels when it leaves the ramp and lands horizontally. The conversation includes various equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final result being a distance of 1.33 meters.
Chrisleo13

Homework Statement

A 1.79-kg block slides down a frictionless ramp, The top of the ramp is h1 = 1.54 m above the ground; the bottom of the ramp is h2 = 0.287 m above the ground. The block leaves the ramp moving horizontally, and lands a horizontal distance away. Calculate the distance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used mg(delta h)=1/2mv^2 to get velocity in the x direction
Then used y=1/2at^2 to find time, I had Viy = 0, g = 9.81 and y = .287

I can't find the distance traveled am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chrisleo13 said:

Homework Statement

A 1.79-kg block slides down a frictionless ramp, The top of the ramp is h1 = 1.54 m above the ground; the bottom of the ramp is h2 = 0.287 m above the ground. The block leaves the ramp moving horizontally, and lands a horizontal distance away. Calculate the distance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used mg(delta h)=1/2mv^2 to get velocity in the x direction
Then used y=1/2at^2 to find time, I had Viy = 0, g = 9.81 and y = .287

I can't find the distance traveled am I doing something wrong?

Why not?

It looks like you are all over the method.

You have V2 = 2gh1

You have T2 = 2h2/g

T2*V2 = X2 = 4h2*h1

I did it your way as well, but still the wrong result. Ugh, can you work it out and see what you get I got, 1.33 m.

Chrisleo13 said:
I did it your way as well, but still the wrong result. Ugh, can you work it out and see what you get I got, 1.33 m.

Actually my h1 was the difference between 1.54 and the .287.

Sorry I didn't see the problem labeled those heights similarly.

Thanks, I got it.

1. How do you calculate the distance of a block sliding down a ramp?

To calculate the distance of a block sliding down a ramp, you will need to use the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time it took for the block to slide down the ramp.

2. What is the formula for the acceleration due to gravity?

The formula for the acceleration due to gravity is g = 9.8 m/s^2. This value is a constant and is the same for all objects near the surface of the Earth.

3. What units should be used when calculating the distance of a block sliding down a ramp?

The units used for distance should be in meters (m), as this is the standard unit for distance in the metric system. The units used for acceleration due to gravity should be in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. Can the distance of a block sliding down a ramp be negative?

No, the distance of a block sliding down a ramp cannot be negative. Distance is a scalar quantity and only has magnitude, not direction. Therefore, it will always be a positive value.

5. Is the angle of the ramp important when calculating the distance of a block sliding down a ramp?

Yes, the angle of the ramp is important when calculating the distance of a block sliding down a ramp. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the shorter the distance the block will travel. This is because a steeper angle will result in a higher acceleration due to gravity, causing the block to slide down the ramp faster.