1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy problem

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The asteroid has a mass of 4.10 x 10^4 kg, and the force causes its speed to change from 7100 m/s to 5700 m/s.

If the asteroid slows down over a distance of 1.50 x 10^6 m, determine the magnitude F of the force.

2. Relevant equations

w = -3.6736e11 J (I figured this out from a question before it that I didn't post)
    F = W/(s(cos(theta)))

3. The attempt at a solution

F = (-3.6736e11) / ((1.50 x 10^6)(cos(theta)))

I was just wondering how you would find theta for this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    Your s=distance? also since when was work a vector quantity? and theta should be zero since the problem never mentions any angles.
  4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Yes. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    check my edit
  6. Dec 8, 2008 #5
    I got it. Thanks for your help.
  7. Dec 8, 2008 #6
    No problem just curious is this high school physics?
  8. Dec 8, 2008 #7
    it seems that you have the right formulas. maybe you just complicated the question in high school.it wants us to find out the force in a giving distance, assuming that the force must be a constant of vector in the same direction of movement.

but for physics, i quite agree with you. we cant figure it out without theta.
    conclusion is that:don't take too much time for the question in the books.
  9. Dec 8, 2008 #8
    Actually, yes. It was a webassign problem and the only one I had left so I was pretty anxious to get it done before it was time for me to submit it (hence why I ended up here after a few seconds on google lol).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?