Calculating Speed of 4kg Block using Energy Methods

In summary, the equation to calculate the speed of the 4.00-kg block just before it strikes the floor is: m_1gh = 1/2m_1v^2 + 1/2I\omega^2 + m_2gh.
kitz
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right equation for this:

The pulley in the figure has radius 0.160 m and a moment of inertia 0.480. The rope does not slip on the pulley rim.
Use energy methods to calculate the speed of the 4.00-kg block just before it strikes the floor.

To do this, would the following formula be correct?

[tex]m_{1}gh = 1/2m_{1}v^2 + 1/2I\omega^2 + m_{2}gh[/tex]

The initial energy would just be potential, right? The 2kg block on the floor would have 0 potential energy, and 0 kinetic energy...

I'm getting an answer of 2.9352, is this correct?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
kitz said:
To do this, would the following formula be correct?

[tex]m_{1}gh = 1/2m_{1}v^2 + 1/2I\omega^2 + m_{2}gh[/tex]

The initial energy would just be potential, right? The 2kg block on the floor would have 0 potential energy, and 0 kinetic energy...
Yes, the initial energy is entirely PE of [itex]m_1[/itex]. But don't forget that when the mass falls, both masses (and the pulley) will have KE. And you'll need to relate the rotational speed of the pulley to the translational speed of the masses.

Thank you sir!

Isn't adding 1/2I*omega^2 relating the rotational and the translational speeds? If not, how do I relate tralsational and rotational to the PE of the 2-kg mass?

Thank you!

Here it is better written:

[tex]m_{1}gh = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m_{1}v^2 + \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}I\omega^2 + m_{2}gh[/tex]

and in my calculations, I substituted in [tex]\displaystyle{\frac{v}{R}} for \omega[/tex]

Last edited:
kitz said:
Isn't adding 1/2I*omega^2 relating the rotational and the translational speeds? If not, how do I relate tralsational and rotational to the PE of the 2-kg mass?
By "relating translational and rotational speeds" I just meant that you need to use [itex]v = \omega R[/itex], which you did.

Here it is better written:

[tex]m_{1}gh = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m_{1}v^2 + \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}I\omega^2 + m_{2}gh[/tex]
What about the kinetic energy of [itex]m_2[/itex]?

would that just be:

[tex]m_{1}gh = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m_{1}v^2 + \displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}I\omega^2 + m_{2}gh+\displaystyle{\frac{1}{2}}m_{2}v^2 [/tex]

That's the one.

Thank you very much!

After plugging the numbers in, I got 2.814

Thank you, sir!

What is the formula for calculating speed of a 4kg block using energy methods?

The formula for calculating speed using energy methods is V = √(2E/m), where V is the speed, E is the energy, and m is the mass of the object.

What units should be used for the variables in the speed calculation formula?

The speed should be in meters per second (m/s), energy should be in joules (J), and mass should be in kilograms (kg).

Can the speed of a 4kg block be calculated using other methods?

Yes, the speed of a 4kg block can also be calculated using the formula V = d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time taken.

What is the relationship between energy and speed of a 4kg block?

The energy of an object is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the energy increases, so does the speed of the object.

What are the limitations of using energy methods to calculate speed?

Energy methods can only be used to calculate the speed of an object if the energy is known. This may not always be the case and therefore, other methods may need to be used. Additionally, this method assumes that there are no external forces acting on the object, which may not always be true.