1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy production pr. gram

1. Oct 2, 2015 #1
    Exercise_C_01
    We consider a red giant star. The energy is produced by hydrogen fusion in a shell
    and by helium fusion in the core.
    We assume that the mean density in the hydrogen shell source is 30 g/cm3 and that
    the mean chemical composition is X=0.35, Y=0.63 and Z=0.02.
    The mean density in the core is assumed to be 6000 g/cm3 and the mean
    composition is Y=0.49 and Z=0.51.
    The energy production rates for the relevant processes are:

εPP_I=9*10^-6*X^2*(ρ/(g*cm^3)*(T/(10^6*T)^4 erg/s/g

εCNO=1.8*10^-21*X*Z*(ρ/(g*cm^3)*(T/(10^6*T)^18 erg/s/g

ε=1.7*10^-67*Y^3*(ρ/(g*cm^3)^2*(T/(10^6*T)^30 erg/s/g

We assume ε3α(centre)= εCNO(shell source) i.e. the energy production per gram
    material is identical for the central triple-alpha fusion and the shell source CNOfusion.
    The relative mass loss for hydrogen fusion is 0.7% and for helium-to-carbon fusion is
    0.07%. We now assume that the star will use 2 million years to transform all the
    helium to carbon in the core. We also assume that the star will have Y=0.98 at the
    beginning of Helium-to-carbon fusion and that the energy production rate is constant
    throughout the helium burning.

C_01_1: Show that ε3α ≈ 10000 erg/g/s (using the above assumptions).
    C_01_2: Calculate the temperature in the hydrogen shell source and in the
    helium burning core. Show that CNO is dominating the hydrogen fusion and
    that the PP-fusion rate is small.

I have tryed C_01_1 with E=m*c^2 without luck i get 97 erg/s/g and i have tried every kinda way to get 9700 instead, but no, i cant see it.

C_01_2 Im totally lost here dont know how to find the tempratur with out ε for hydrogen.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How can we know what went wrong if you don't show your work?

You should define X, Y and Z, but I can guess that they are the fraction of hydrogen, helium and metals (by number of atoms or by weight?).

T/(10^6*T) is T/(10^6*K)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted