How Do You Solve a Complex Energy Pulley Problem?

In summary, the 25 kg block reaches the ledge in .5 seconds. The pulley has a radius of 10 cm and a mass of 4 kg. The tensions in the strings are 20a and 25a. The net torque is .5*4*a=T.
Cade Kingston
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
9_47alt.gif

The mb = 25 kg block is 2 m above the ledge. The pulley is a uniform disk with a radius of 10 cm and mass m = 4 kg.

2. (a) Find the speed of the 25 kg block just before it hits the ledge.
(b) Find the angular speed of the pulley at that time.
(c) Find the tensions in the strings.
(d) Find the time it takes for the 25 kg block to reach the ledge. Assume that the string does not slip on the pulley.

3. I know that you are supposed to set up a system of equations with net force and net torque:
20a = T1-20(9.8)
25a = 25(9.8)-T2
.5(4)a=T

Physics news on Phys.org
Cade Kingston said:
9_47alt.gif

The mb = 25 kg block is 2 m above the ledge. The pulley is a uniform disk with a radius of 10 cm and mass m = 4 kg.

2. (a) Find the speed of the 25 kg block just before it hits the ledge.
(b) Find the angular speed of the pulley at that time.
(c) Find the tensions in the strings.
(d) Find the time it takes for the 25 kg block to reach the ledge. Assume that the string does not slip on the pulley.

3. I know that you are supposed to set up a system of equations with net force and net torque:
20a = T1-20(9.8)
25a = 25(9.8)-T2
.5(4)a=T
I just don't know how to get a without knowing T

What's T supposed to represent? I figure T1 and T2 are the tensions in the strings, but what's T? Could you also explain how you got the last equation?

vela said:
What's T supposed to represent? I figure T1 and T2 are the tensions in the strings, but what's T? Could you also explain how you got the last equation?
Net Torque equation is Force*radius=Inertia*alpha
Inertia for a disk is 1/2MR^2 and because there is no slipping a=r*alpha which means alpha=a/r, so:
1/2MR^2*a/R=T*R
The R's cancel out leaving 1/2Ma=T
Plug the info in and you have .5*4*a=T
That is how I got that but I created this thread because I'm not sure that is right.
I don't know if T1 and T2 are supposed to be equal.
T is supposed to be tension force exerted perpendicular to the pulley, but I don't know if it is supposed to be equal to both T1 and T2

T1 and T2 aren't equal because the pulley has mass. I'm still not sure what T is supposed to represent other than it's some force.

The two tensions act on the pulley. What are the torques exerted by them?

vela said:
T1 and T2 aren't equal because the pulley has mass. I'm still not sure what T is supposed to represent other than it's some force.

The two tensions act on the pulley. What are the torques exerted by them?
T is supposed to be the Tension force exerted perpendicularly to the pulley, but I don't know how to find it

That phrase doesn't have much meaning. Can you answer my question about the torques exerted by T1 and T2? That might answer your question.

vela said:
That phrase doesn't have much meaning. Can you answer my question about the torques exerted by T1 and T2? That might answer your question.
I think I know what you are saying now.
Net Torque=T2*R-T1*R
Right?
But I have no idea how to find the force of each tension so I don't know how to find their respective torques

Looks good. (I'm assuming you're using the right sign convention.) That's what you set equal to ##I\alpha##. It looks like you should be on your way to an answer.

vela said:
Looks good. (I'm assuming you're using the right sign convention.) That's what you set equal to ##I\alpha##. It looks like you should be on your way to an answer.
I ended up with the right answers. Thanks for the quick responses. You really helped me reason through it. Appreciate it.

What is the "Energy Pulley problem"?

The Energy Pulley problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of work and energy involved in using a pulley system to lift an object to a certain height.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system consists of a wheel with a groove or grooves around its circumference, and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. The rope is attached to an object on one end and a fixed point on the other. When the rope is pulled, the object is lifted or moved.

What is the formula for calculating work and energy in the Energy Pulley problem?

The formula for calculating work and energy in the Energy Pulley problem is Work = Force x Distance, and Energy = Work + Potential Energy. The force is the amount of force applied to the rope, and the distance is the height the object is lifted. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position.

What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three types of pulley systems: fixed pulley, movable pulley, and compound pulley. In a fixed pulley, the pulley is attached to a fixed point and only changes the direction of the force. In a movable pulley, the pulley is attached to the object being moved and reduces the force needed to lift the object. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

How can the efficiency of a pulley system be improved?

The efficiency of a pulley system can be improved by reducing friction between the pulley and the rope, using a stronger and lighter rope, and choosing the right type of pulley system for the task. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also improve the efficiency of a pulley system.