Energy Question - Burning off Breakfast

• Thread starter coglon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how many steps it takes to burn off breakfast and the difficulty in determining this number due to the complexity of the human body. Different equations and approximations are suggested, but it is ultimately concluded that the number of Calories burned per step cannot be accurately calculated.
coglon
Energy Question -- Burning off Breakfast

Im not to good at physics to begin with, and I've been having a lot of trouble with this question:
"How many steps does it take to wear off your breakfast?"
First of all this question doesn't give you any starting points with variables and such and I really have no clue what kind of equation to use.

I am using Shredded Wheat & Bran as my breakfast (30g per serving (160ml)) without milk and this contains 450kJ from the back of the box nutritional facts.
I assumed that each step would take approx. 1 meter in length and that the person burning off the breakfast weights 70kg. I don't know if this info is relavent to the question but I am kinda stuck.

I thought if I could figure out how many joules were burn each step by this person I could divide that by the total joules of breakfast and figure out how many steps it will take

I would think that W=Fd would be the starting equation but I don't have a variable with Newtons

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could figure out how many joules are expended in each step, certainly, you could figure it out. The problem is there is really no way to determine the amount of energy expended in each step except by experimenting.

When you walk on level ground, you're not doing any work against gravity. You're only doing work against friction -- the friction of your shoes against the pavement, the friction of your joints moving, the "friction" of your individual muscle fibers contracting and relaxing, and so on. The human body is an extremely complex machine, and it's just not possible to figure out how much energy a person expends in a step by using a simple formula.

I did a little Googling, and there seems to be a consensus that a 150-pound person walking at 3 mph burns about 4 kilocalories per minute. (A kilocalorie is the same as a Calorie you see on nutrition information.)

It looks like it takes about a mile and a half:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...e))+*+(3+miles+per+hour)+in+miles&btnG=Search

- Warren

You definitely need to approximate here, but I think you can solve this problem in another way. When you lift your body to the next step, assuming no friction of joints and the like, you must overcome the gravitational force acting on your body (which is known in this problem). In theory, the force you apply to the step must only be minutely larger than the gravitational force in order for you to move upward. So if you assume applied force equals gravitational force for each step and solve the problem that way, you would be making a decent approximation of the number of steps required to burn your breakfast in a frictionless environment and assuming your body only uses energy to move.

thank you for the replys, well it came down to deadline so I assume there was no friction what so ever and i ended up with something like this for a equation:

W= F*d
W= (9.81m/s^2*70)*d
Substituted joules from breakfast as work:
450kj=(9.81m/s^2*70)*d
(450kJ)/(9.81m/s^2*70)=d
d=655m <--going off memory could be wrong but that's the process i used... do you guys think this is right??
so 655 steps to wear off

If you walk along level ground, you have no net change in elevation, and thus there is no net work done against gravity.

The bottom line is that the number of Calories burned per step is not calculable from first principles, because the human body is much too complex.

- Warren

What is the process of burning off breakfast?

The process of burning off breakfast involves your body breaking down the carbohydrates, proteins, and fats from your breakfast into glucose and other molecules. These molecules are then transported to your cells, where they are converted into energy through a complex chemical reaction called cellular respiration. This process produces ATP, which is the main form of energy used by your body.

How long does it take to burn off breakfast?

The time it takes to burn off breakfast varies depending on several factors, such as the type and amount of food consumed, your metabolism, and your activity level. On average, it takes about 2-3 hours for your body to fully digest and convert breakfast into energy.

What happens to the energy from breakfast if it is not used?

If the energy from breakfast is not used, it will be stored in your body as fat. This is because your body has a limited capacity to store glucose and excess energy is converted into fat for long-term storage. This is why it is important to balance your energy intake with your energy expenditure through regular physical activity.

Does the type of breakfast affect the amount of energy burned off?

Yes, the type of breakfast you consume can affect the amount of energy burned off. Foods that are high in carbohydrates, such as bread, cereals, and fruits, are broken down and converted into energy more quickly compared to foods high in fat and protein, which take longer to digest and convert into energy.

Can I increase the amount of energy burned off from breakfast?

Yes, you can increase the amount of energy burned off from breakfast by engaging in physical activity after eating. Exercise helps to boost your metabolism, which increases the rate at which your body converts food into energy. Additionally, incorporating strength training into your exercise routine can help build muscle, which increases your resting metabolic rate and burns more energy throughout the day.