Pumped-Storage Reservoir: 305 MW Power Plant | Energy Qs Help

• Thread starter tnutty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a pumped-storage reservoir that holds 8.0×109 kg of water at a height of 140 m above its generating station. The power plant generates 305 MW of electric power while draining the reservoir over a period of 6.7 h. The question is about the fraction of initial potential energy lost to nonconservative forces. The solution involves calculating the ratio of (initial potential energy - produced energy) to initial potential energy. The participants in the conversation encourage the asker to work out the solution themselves.
tnutty

Homework Statement

A pumped-storage reservoir sits 140 m above its generating station and holds 8.0×109 kg of water. The power plant generates 305 MW of electric power while draining the reservoir over an 6.7 h period.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

??
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Units?

lubuntu said:
Units?

I added units. I am so confused on how to slolve this, and this is due in about 10 minutes.

And what's the question?

What fraction of the initial potential energy is lost to nonconservative forces (i.e., does not emerge as electricity)?

I'm think that basically if didn't lose any energy the power generated by the water would be the graviational potential energy. So you know that and you know what was actually produced...

lubuntu said:
I'm think that basically if didn't lose any energy the power generated by the water would be the graviational potential energy. So you know that and you know what was actually produced...

what? Sorry could not understand you.

Feel free to explain please. I have until 11:59 for this question, and its the last one.

You know what you started with and what you ended with... so what you lost is obviously the difference in those 2 quantities

Gravitational potential energy. You know, that mgh thing?

Dick said:
Gravitational potential energy. You know, that mgh thing?

I understand that stuff, Can you solve it out so i can see how you do it.

I have until 11:59pm.

Dude, this is really simple,we told you exactly what you need to calculate, if you can't do it you don't understand the concepts and don't deserve point for your assignment due in 5 minutes.

It's good you understand it. Work out mgh. Work out power*time. Take a ratio. I don't think anyone is going to do it for you. Especially since you understand it. Do it!

Dick said:
It's good you understand it. Work out mgh. Work out power*time. Take a ratio. I don't think anyone is going to do it for you. Especially since you understand it. Do it!

wait a ratio of what?

The exact question seems to be asking for (initial potential energy-produced energy)/initial potential energy. As I read the question. Since the top half of that ratio would be the amount lost to nonconservative forces.

Last edited:
We gave it a try, lubuntu. Maybe next time.

1. What is a pumped-storage reservoir and how does it work?

A pumped-storage reservoir is a type of hydroelectric power plant that stores energy by pumping water from a lower reservoir to a higher reservoir during times of low energy demand. When there is a high demand for energy, the water is released from the higher reservoir to generate electricity by turning turbines and powering generators.

2. How much power can a 305 MW pumped-storage reservoir produce?

A 305 MW pumped-storage reservoir can produce up to 305 megawatts of electricity, which is enough to power approximately 200,000 homes.

3. What are the benefits of using a pumped-storage reservoir for energy production?

Pumped-storage reservoirs have several benefits, including their ability to store energy for later use, their efficiency in converting energy, and their ability to provide a reliable source of energy during peak demand periods. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other forms of energy storage.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with pumped-storage reservoirs?

While pumped-storage reservoirs can have a minimal impact on the environment compared to other forms of energy production, they can still disrupt local ecosystems and habitats. The construction of the reservoir may also require the displacement of communities and the flooding of land.

5. How does a pumped-storage reservoir contribute to overall energy sustainability?

Pumped-storage reservoirs can help balance the supply and demand of energy, making it more sustainable and reducing the need for fossil fuel-based energy sources. They also have a low carbon footprint and can help integrate renewable energy sources into the grid by providing a stable backup during periods of low production.