Calculating Mechanical Energy Loss in Block-Spring System

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem involves a block with mass M sliding along a horizontal table with speed v0 at x=0, hitting a spring with spring constant k and experiencing a variable friction force given by u=bx. To find the loss in mechanical energy when the block comes to rest, we can use the equation W_f=E_0-E_v0=kx^2/2-mv0^2/2 where W_f is the work done by friction, E_0 is the initial mechanical energy, and E_v0 is the mechanical energy at rest. Alternatively, we can find the distance it takes for the block to stop, and then use the work done by friction, which is given by f=bxmg, to calculate
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
a block of mass M slides along a horizontal table with speed v0 at x=0 it hits a spring with spring constant k and begins to experience a friction force. the coefficient of friction is variable and is given by u=bx where b is a constnat.
find the loss in mechanical energy when the block has first come momentarily to rest.

i got to this equation (im not sure it's correct):
fx+kx^2/2-mv0^2/2
is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) That is not an equation.
2) What is fx?
3) Energy is not conserved (edit: you could probably still do it this way)

Just try finding all the forces and then finding and solving the resulting differential equation.

Last edited:
Another way to do it, you could:
1. Find the distance it takes to stop
2. Since friction is the only non-conservative force acting on the block, find the work done by friction over that distance.

fx is the is the work done by the friction force over the displacement x.

so by orthodontist the loss of mechanical energy equals the work of friction.
but shouldn't the equation be:
W_f=E_0-E_v0=kx^2/2-mv0^2/2
then what is the equation of the loss of ME.

What's the work done by friction? (not fx, but in terms of the coefficient of friction)

f=bxmg
then the work equals bmgx^2/2

That's correct.

is this answer to my original question, the loss of M.E is the work done by the friction on the block.

Yes, but you have to find x.

then i should use the equation i typed on post #4, right?

loop quantum gravity said:
then i should use the equation i typed on post #4, right?
can someone please tell me if I am right here?

1. How do you calculate the mechanical energy loss in a block-spring system?

To calculate the mechanical energy loss in a block-spring system, you need to know the initial potential energy and the final potential energy of the system. The difference between these two values represents the mechanical energy loss.

2. What factors affect the mechanical energy loss in a block-spring system?

The mechanical energy loss in a block-spring system is affected by factors such as the initial height of the block, the spring constant, the mass of the block, and the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface it is moving on.

3. Can mechanical energy be gained in a block-spring system?

Yes, it is possible for mechanical energy to be gained in a block-spring system. This can occur if external forces, such as a person pushing or pulling the block, are applied to the system.

4. How can mechanical energy loss be minimized in a block-spring system?

Mechanical energy loss can be minimized in a block-spring system by reducing friction between the block and the surface it is moving on, using a spring with a higher spring constant, and minimizing external forces acting on the system.

5. How is mechanical energy loss related to the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a block-spring system, the initial potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the block moves. The difference between the initial and final potential energies represents the mechanical energy loss, which is still present in the system in the form of heat due to friction. Therefore, mechanical energy loss is a demonstration of the law of conservation of energy.