Conservation of Energy: Pushing Boxes

In summary: Why not? Try it! You will most certainly get hotter if you push hard on an immovable wall for more than a few seconds.
PowerWill500
I have a question regarding the conservation of energy. If I were to push a medium sized box across a surface, I would be imparting a certain amount of energy to it (and myself) and also dissipating a certain amount of thermal energy into the surface. This energy I'm supplying comes from the transfer of the chemically stored energy in my body when I push the box, yes?

Now, if I were to expend an equal amount of bodily energy pushing against a large box, and was not able to overcome the friction force, would all that energy be instead dissipated as thermal energy into the ground and box? Maybe I'm just overestimating the awesomeness of kinetic energy, but intuition (often wrong, admittedly) tells me that the thermal energy produced in the second scenario would not be equivalent to the kinetic and thermal energy my efforts produced in the first. Apologies for a potentially dumb question, but could someone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes indeed, you transfer energy to ground (in both cases).
In fact u cannot push a box against a wall if the wall is not well connected to the ground.

Ll.

No. In the second case, since you did not overcome friction, no work was done on the box and whatever (food/chemical) energy was merely dissipated as thermal energy within your body.

cesiumfrog said:
No. In the second case, since you did not overcome friction, no work was done on the box and whatever (food/chemical) energy was merely dissipated as thermal energy within your body.

But if that's the case, I would get hotter pushing something that didn't move than pushing something that did, even if I was expending the same amount of energy. That doesn't make sense to me.

PowerWill500 said:
But if that's the case, I would get hotter pushing something that didn't move than pushing something that did, even if I was expending the same amount of energy. That doesn't make sense to me.
Why not? Try it! You will most certainly get hotter if you push hard on an immovable wall for more than a few seconds.

1. What is the concept of conservation of energy?

The concept of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does pushing boxes relate to conservation of energy?

When pushing a box, energy is being transferred from your body to the box, causing it to move. This transfer of energy demonstrates the principle of conservation of energy, as the total energy in the system (you and the box) remains constant.

3. Is it possible to push a box without using any energy?

No, it is not possible to push a box without using any energy. Even if the box appears to remain stationary, energy is still being used to exert the force needed to push against the box.

4. How does friction affect conservation of energy when pushing boxes?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can cause energy to be lost as heat. When pushing a box, some of the energy you use to push it is converted into heat due to friction between the box and the surface it is on. This means that the total energy in the system is not conserved.

5. Can the conservation of energy principle be applied to all types of pushing activities?

Yes, the principle of conservation of energy applies to all types of pushing activities, as long as the system is closed and isolated. This means that the total energy of the objects involved in the pushing remains constant, even if the form of energy may change. For example, when pushing a car, the chemical energy in your body is transformed into kinetic energy, but the total energy in the system remains the same.