Solving Angular Momentum & Energy Conservation for Velocity at Point A

In summary, the conversation is discussing a homework question involving a disk connected to a spring and a mass hitting it with a given velocity. The goal is to find the velocity of the mass at a specific point. The conservation of angular momentum is used to find the initial angular velocity, but there is uncertainty about the energy conservation equation and whether the gravitational potential energy is correct. There is also discussion about the diagram and assumptions being made about the setup.
asi123

Homework Statement

Hey guys.
So I got this disk connected to a spring which is connected to a wall.
A mass m hits the disk with a velocity v and sticks to it.
The question is to find the velocity of m at point A.
As you can see I used the conservation of the angular momentum to find [tex]\omega[/tex] at the beginning.
The thing I'm not sure about is the energy conservation equation I wrote there, I'm not sure about the gravitational potential energy, I mean, is this right?

10x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
Any idea guys?

asi123 said:
Any idea guys?

I'm not sure I fully understand the diagram, but shouldn't v*cos(squiggle)=0?

OmCheeto said:
I'm not sure I fully understand the diagram, but shouldn't v*cos(squiggle)=0?

Why?

asi123 said:
Why?
That's why I posted that I didn't understand the diagram.
Is the disk resting on the floor at y=0?
Is the disk pivoted frictionlessly at it's center?

I assumed that since you mentioned gravity, that the disk is in a vertical plane.

My assumption was that the disc was fixed on some axis or point and therefore the v*cos(squiggle) component had to be zero. Also, none of the momentum of the mass m would be imparted to the disc as there was no mention of it's mass. So the magnitude of of the velocity of mass m would have to be the same in the direction of sin(squiggle).

Hope that helps.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the principle that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. In the context of solving for velocity at point A, energy conservation means that the total energy at point A must be equal to the total energy at any other point along the object's path.

How do you calculate angular momentum?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia depends on the object's mass and distribution of mass, while the angular velocity is the rate of change of its angular position.

What is the equation for energy conservation?

The equation for energy conservation is E = K + U, where E is the total energy, K is the kinetic energy, and U is the potential energy. In the context of solving for velocity at point A, this equation can be used to equate the total energy at point A to the total energy at any other point along the object's path.

What are the units for angular momentum and energy?

The units for angular momentum are kg*m^2/s, while the units for energy are Joules (J). It is important to use consistent units when solving for velocity at point A in order to obtain an accurate result.