Where Does Lost Energy from Golf Ball Go on Carpet?

• Thread starter kashiark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, when a golf ball bounces on concrete, it will bounce much higher compared to when it bounces on carpet. The lost energy from the bounce is stored as potential energy in the carpet. When the ball hits the carpet, it sinks in and then recoils, transferring some of its kinetic energy to the carpet. This energy is related to impulse and can be compared to a crumple zone on a car. However, there may be other factors at play and further discussion is needed.
kashiark

Homework Statement

A golf ball will bounce much higher on concrete than on carpet. What happens to this lost energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The carpet stores it as potential energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to the carpet as the ball hits it?

It sinks in, but then it recoils, so I would think that it would relinquish any potential energy it had then.

Gawd... I'm not actually too sure myself come to think of it. My understanding is that some of the kinetic energy of the ball would be transferred to kinetic energy in the carpet.

It will be related to impulse somehow; working in a similar way to a crumple zone on a car.

I could be totally astray though; will be interested to see someone else's response.

Well, when it recoils, it moves, so I suppose that if enough of it moved and if it was massive enough, that would make sense.

1. Where does the energy from a golf ball go when it hits a carpet?

When a golf ball hits a carpet, the energy from the ball is transferred to the carpet in the form of kinetic energy and sound energy. Some of the energy may also be converted to heat energy due to friction between the ball and the carpet fibers.

2. Does the type of carpet affect the amount of energy lost from a golf ball?

Yes, the type of carpet can greatly affect the amount of energy lost from a golf ball. Softer and thicker carpets will absorb more energy, resulting in less bounce from the ball. On the other hand, harder and thinner carpets will reflect more energy, resulting in a higher bounce.

3. Why does the energy of a golf ball decrease when it hits a carpet?

The energy of a golf ball decreases when it hits a carpet due to the principle of conservation of energy. When the ball collides with the carpet, some of its energy is converted to other forms, such as heat and sound, and is not able to be fully transferred back to the ball.

4. Can the energy loss from a golf ball hitting a carpet be calculated?

Yes, the energy loss from a golf ball hitting a carpet can be calculated using the principles of conservation of energy and elastic collisions. Factors such as the type of carpet, ball speed, and angle of impact can all affect the amount of energy lost.

5. Is there any way to minimize the energy loss when hitting a golf ball on carpet?

Yes, there are a few ways to minimize the energy loss when hitting a golf ball on carpet. One way is to use a harder and thinner carpet material, which will reflect more energy back to the ball. Another way is to use a golf ball with a lower compression, as it will deform less upon impact and retain more energy. Additionally, using a lower lofted club can also help minimize energy loss as it will reduce the angle of impact and the amount of compression on the ball.