Calculate Work, Power, PE and KE for a 400W Motor

• Thread starter Googl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: I am trying to work out how long it takes for a pulley system to raise a mass of 15kg 5 metres off the ground, using the following equation; d = v0t + 1/2at2. But I am not sure how to rearrange the equation to get the original velocity and not the velocity after 3.5 metres. Help!
Googl
I have a question where I am given watts, voltage and time. Let's say the electric motor is 400 watt that is run from 240v mains electricity for 200seconds.

I have managed to calculate the work done using the formula Work done (J) = Power (W) x time taken (J) And I have managed to calculate the current the motor uses using the formula Power = IV.

I have no idea how I would calculate how long it takes for the pulley system to raise 15kg mass vertically 5 metres when the motor is connected to the pulley.

I am also asked to calculate the PE of the fully raised mass, I assume here I would use this formula;

Potential= mgh (Am I right?)

How do I calculate it's velocity after falling for 3.5 metres? Do I use this formula? KE= 1/2 MV^2

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The motor's power is given. As you mentioned, Energy = Power X Time and Potential Energy = m g h.

edgepflow said:
The motor's power is given. As you mentioned, Energy = Power X Time and Potential Energy = m g h.

I figured how to work out but the others.

How do I calculate it's velocity after falling for 3.5 metres?

d = v0t + 1/2at2

The total Energy is constant: KE + PE = constant. If one goes down, the other goes up.

Naty1 said:
How do I calculate it's velocity after falling for 3.5 metres?

d = v0t + 1/2at2

But if I rearrange the formula (making v0 the subject) it will only give me the original velocity and not the velocity is is at after 3.5 metres. Are saying that after finding this I should use; v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the velocity at 3.5 metres?

how I would calculate how long it takes for the pulley system to raise 15kg mass vertically 5 metres when the motor is connected to the pulley.

Hi, Could someone please help me out.

1. How do you calculate work for a 400W motor?

To calculate work, you need to multiply the power (in watts) by the time (in seconds). In this case, the work done by the 400W motor can be calculated by multiplying 400 watts by the time in seconds.

2. What is the formula for power?

The formula for power is work divided by time, or P = W/t. In this case, the power of the 400W motor is 400 watts.

3. How do you calculate potential energy for a 400W motor?

Potential energy is the energy that is stored in an object due to its position or configuration. To calculate potential energy for a 400W motor, you need to know the height at which the motor is located and the force of gravity. The formula for potential energy in this case is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the motor, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

4. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy. So, in the case of a 400W motor, the work done by the motor will result in an increase in the kinetic energy of the motor.

5. How can you calculate the kinetic energy of a 400W motor?

To calculate kinetic energy, you need to know the mass and velocity of the object. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. In the case of a 400W motor, you can calculate its kinetic energy by using the formula and plugging in the appropriate values for mass and velocity.