1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy question

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1

phy

Imagine a spherical, nonrotating planet of mass M, radius R, that has no atmosphere. A satellite is fired from the surface of the planet with speed vo at 30 degrees to the local vertical. In its subsequent orbit the satellite reaches a maximal distance of 5R/2 from the center of the planet. Using the principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum, show that vo - (5GM/4R)^1/2

This is what I've done so far and it's not right:

E=1/2 mv^2 - GMm/2R = GMm/4R
    1/2mv^2-GMm/2(5R/2) = GMm/4(5R/2)
    1/2mv^2-GMm/5R = 2GMm/20R
    1/2v^2 = 3GM/10R
    .:v = (3GM/5R)^1/2

Clearly, this isn't the answer I should be getting. Does anybody know where I'm going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I can't quite follow what you are doing. Apply conservation of energy to get one equation and conservation of angular momentum to get another. (I trust you realize that at the maximal distance, the speed is not zero.)

4. Nov 11, 2004 #3

phy

So I'm just going to be solving a system of 2 linear equations for 2 unknowns?

5. Nov 11, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I wouldn't call them linear... but, yes, you'll have two equations and two unknowns.

6. Nov 11, 2004 #5

phy

Oh yeah my bad. I meant just two equations. Ok thanks for that. I guess I'll redo the question and get back to you on that one. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?