Solving Jane's Swing Problem: Find Min Speed to Cross River & Return

In summary, the question is about Jane needing to swing across a river to save Tarzan and determining the minimum speed she and Tarzan need to start their swings with. The equation for Jane's swing involves her mass, the force of wind, and the distance and angle of the swing. To find the minimum speed, we need to use the equation mgΔh + 1/2mv² = Fwindd and find the vertical displacement, which can be found using a trig function. Part b is closely related to part a and requires the same equation.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is the question I have from my book, I have tried numerous methods of solving it, but I cannot obtain the correct answers. If someone could get me started with an equation I could go from there...

Jane, whose mass is 50kg, needs to swing across a river (having width D) filled with man eating crocodiles to save Tarzan from danger. She must swing into a wind exerting a force F, on a vine having length L and initially making an angle theta with the vertical.

Taking D=50m, F=110N, L=40m and Theta=50 degrees...

a)with what minimum speed must Jane begin her swing in order to just make it to the other side?

b)Once the rescue is complete, Tarzan and Jane must swing back across the river. With what minimum speed must they begin their swing? Assume Tarzan has a mass of 80kg.

Well for part a I figured that since she is JUST going to make to the other side..

[tex]E_{Jane}-W_{wind}=0[/tex]

[tex]\implies mg \Delta h+\frac{1}{2}mv^2-F_{wind}d=0[/tex]

or

[tex]mg \Delta h + \frac{1}{2}mv^2=F_{wind}d[/tex]

This expression seems like what I want, the only problem is that I can't find delta h..

Part (b) is obviously closely related to (a), so I just want to do a first.

Thanks
Josh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work. Read the guidelines you agreed to.

work posted

Define angle alpha to be the angle swept by the rope from its point of fixation (at the top of the tree or whatever), When Jane is hanging directly down she will be L meters away from the top, when she is about to swing (with the 50 deg angle), she is L meters away from the top at a 50 deg angle from the vertical, there's a trig function that will show you her displacement in the Y direction.. remember the rope is the hypotenuse here.

1. How do I find the minimum speed needed for Jane to cross the river and return?

To find the minimum speed, you will need to use the equation: v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance, and t is the time. You will need to calculate the distance Jane needs to travel and the time it takes for her to cross the river and return. Then, plug those values into the equation to find the minimum speed.

2. What factors should I consider when solving Jane's swing problem?

Some important factors to consider include the distance of the river, the speed of the current, the speed at which Jane can swim, and the time it takes her to cross the river and return. You may also need to take into account any obstacles or challenges that may affect Jane's speed or ability to cross the river.

3. Can I use any other equations to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use other equations such as d = rt (distance = rate x time) or t = d/v (time = distance/speed) to solve this problem. However, the v = d/t equation is the most direct and efficient way to find the minimum speed needed for Jane to cross the river and return.

4. What units should I use for the calculations?

The units you use will depend on the units given in the problem. Make sure to use consistent units throughout your calculations. For example, if the distance is given in meters, then the speed should be in meters per second (m/s) and the time should be in seconds (s).

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. For example, if your calculated speed is 2 m/s, then Jane should be able to cross the river and return in the specified time using this speed. You can also use estimation and common sense to check if your answer is reasonable.