Solve Energy Questions: 6 & 7 | Hiya Cathy

• Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: W kettle in one minute and the other involving the specific latent heat of vaporisation of water. In summary, the correct answers for the first question are 66g and 66ml/66cm^3, and for the second question, the specific latent heat of vaporisation can be calculated by dividing the heat input during one minute by the heat of vaporization.
CathyLou
Hiya.

I'm really stuck on these two questions and I've no idea how to really approach them at all. Any help would be really highly appreciated.

6. How much water does a 2.5 kW kettle boil off in one minute, in terms of

(a) mass, and
(b) volume of water?

For the above question my original working was:

(a) 2.5kW x 60s = 150kJ generated per minute.

Change in energy = mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature

Assuming that the water starts at 25ºC, we need to raise the temperature by 75ºC to get to 100ºC.

150000 = m x 4200 x 75

m = 0.48 kg

m = 476g

(b) 476g = 476ml or 476 cm^3

I know that these answers are wrong as yesterday in class the teacher said that the correct answers are 66g and 66ml/66cm^3.

7. An electric heater immersed in some water raises the temperature from 40ºC to 100ºC in 6 min. After another 25 min it is noticed that half the water has boiled away. What value does this experiment give for the specific latent heat of vaporisation of water?

All that I wrote down for the next one was:

Change in energy = mass x the latent heat of vaporisation

Change in energy = mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature

Mass = density x volume

Thank you very much.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your help. I've got the correct answer now. :smile:

Cathy

What is the purpose of solving energy questions?

The purpose of solving energy questions is to better understand how energy works and how it can be harnessed to meet our needs. By asking and answering these questions, we can find solutions to energy-related problems and make informed decisions about energy use.

What is the difference between energy question 6 and 7?

Energy question 6 focuses on renewable energy sources, while energy question 7 focuses on non-renewable energy sources. Renewable energy sources are those that can be replenished naturally, such as solar, wind, and hydro power. Non-renewable energy sources, like fossil fuels, are finite and will eventually run out.

How can solving energy questions benefit society?

Solving energy questions can benefit society in many ways. It can help us become more sustainable by reducing our reliance on non-renewable energy sources and promoting the use of renewable energy. It can also lead to the development of new and more efficient energy technologies, which can create jobs and boost the economy.

Why is it important to find solutions to energy-related problems?

Finding solutions to energy-related problems is important because energy plays a crucial role in our daily lives and in the global economy. Without sustainable and efficient energy sources, we cannot power our homes, transportation, or industries. Additionally, solving energy problems can help mitigate the negative impacts of energy production on the environment.

How can individuals contribute to solving energy questions?

Individuals can contribute to solving energy questions by being mindful of their energy use and making small changes in their daily habits, such as turning off lights when not in use and using public transportation or carpooling. They can also support and invest in renewable energy initiatives, and advocate for government policies that promote sustainable energy practices.