1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy reduced by air drag

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    A 49kg skier leaves the end of a ski-jump ramp with a velocity of 28 m/s directed 22o above the horizantal. Suppose that as a result of air drag the skier returns to the ground with a speed of 17 m/s, landing 10 meters vertically below the ramp. From the launch to the return to the ground, by how much is the mechanical energy of the skier-Earth system reduced because of air drag?

first i found the velocity the skier should have without air drag (31.3075 m/s). then i found the difference between 31.3075 and the actual speed 17m/s. then i used that number and plugged it into 1/2 m v^2 = KE to find the energy lost due to air resistance. 5015 J... this isn't right though. what did i do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You shouldn't calculate the difference in velocity and then the corresponding hypothetical KE, you should take the difference between the 2 KE (with and without drag).

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Why: because KE is a square function of velocity, and therefore finding the difference in velocity and plugging that into the KE equation will give the wrong answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?