Deriving Energy Relativity: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation is about a step on a wiki page that involves deriving the full energy momentum relation. The person is having trouble solving for (u/c)^2 and plugging it into the Lorentz factor. They ask for help or resources to better understand the process. Another person gives a hint to solve for u^2 and mentions that the speed of light is just a constant. The first person eventually figures it out and finds it satisfying.
Glenn G
Hi community,
There is a step on the wiki page about a derivation.
IMG_1485326064.992430.jpg

I don't seem to get the same thing when I try and solve for (u/c)^2 and then plug into Lorentz factor to get the new Lorentz factor so you can get the full energy momentum relation

My gamma term looks more like 1/ ((mo^2u^2/p^2))^-1/2 when I've subbed for (u/c)^2??

Can anyone help or any other resources to show easy as poss how to derive the full equation?
Thanks
G.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a u left in your expression you have not solved for (u/c)^2 ...

I rearranged the top expression and made (u/c)^2 the subject but then you still have the u^2 that was in the numerator of the momentum expression? Confused.

Yes, so you have not solved for u^2/c^2. You need to actually solve for u^2/c^2.

Edit: Hint: Solve for u^2. The speed of light is just a constant.

IMG_1485332435.532491.jpg

I got this far and became a bit convoluted. Will try for u^2 then.
Thanks.
G.

Hint:
$$
1 = \frac{m^2 c^2 + p^2}{m^2 c^2 + p^2}
$$

Likes Glenn G
Ooh, that's cheeky. I'll have another play this evening, thanks Orodruin.

Got it finally, quite satisfying ...

1. What is energy relativity?

Energy relativity is a concept in physics that explains how energy can be transformed from one form to another, but the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

2. How is energy relativity related to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that time and space are relative concepts and are influenced by gravity. Energy relativity is a part of this theory and explains how energy and mass are interchangeable and can affect the curvature of space-time.

3. Can you give an example of energy relativity in everyday life?

One example of energy relativity in everyday life is the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. When a ball is held at a height, it has potential energy. As it falls, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and the total energy of the system remains constant.

4. How is energy relativity used in scientific research?

Energy relativity is used in scientific research to understand and analyze the behavior of different forms of energy and their transformations. It is also used in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics to study the relationship between energy and mass.

5. Are there any practical applications of energy relativity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of energy relativity, including nuclear energy, which is based on the conversion of mass into energy. Other practical applications include solar energy, hydroelectric power, and wind energy, which all involve the conversion of one form of energy into another.