1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Release of C4 Explosive

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    Is there a mathematical solution to calculate the impulse or energy delivered to an object when a spherical C4 explosive charge of given weight (750g) is detonated at a given stand-off (547mm or 847mm) from a test object of given area (0.4m^2)?

I am able to convert from impulse to energy by using the formula E=I^2/2m
    where E is energy uptake in Joules, I is the overall impulse (N.s) applied to the test object of m kg.

I have a report from an experiment conducted by a third party showing a computer generated impulse distribution of one of the explosions and a stagement saying the impulse applied to the test object from one explosion is 384 N.s however i am unawear how they arrived at this figure and how to calculate the impulse for different charge sizes and stand-offs?

Thanks.
    Dan.

...I'm not sure if i have posted this in the right category?! any suggestions are welcome?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?