How Much Energy is Released in the First Step of the CNO Cycle?

In summary, the energy released in the first step of the CNO cycle is approximately 1.45 MeV, and it is acceptable to assume that the proton has no kinetic energy before the fusion reaction.
Confundo

Homework Statement

The first step of the CNO cycle is
[tex] p \rightarrow C_{6}^{12} \rightarrow N_{7}^{14} + \gamma [/tex]

Estimate the energy of the CNO cycle, state any assumptions.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking at mass difference,

(1.00728u + 12u) - 13.00574u = 0.00154u to convert into energy for the gamma
1u = 931.494MeV/c^2
0.00154u = 1.4345MeV/c^2

therefore E(gamma) = 1.45 MeV

assumptions: energy and momentum are conserved.

When I looked at the wiki page for the CNO they used Hydrogen and had an energy for the gamma of 1.95MeV, I' got the 1.95MeV value using the mass of the hydrogen. I'm just a little concerned that I didn't take into account any kinetic energy the proton may of had before collision.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question on the energy of the CNO cycle. You are correct in your calculation that the energy of the gamma ray in the first step of the CNO cycle is approximately 1.45 MeV.

As for your concern about not taking into account the kinetic energy of the proton, it is true that the proton may have some kinetic energy before it undergoes fusion in the CNO cycle. However, this kinetic energy is negligible compared to the energy released in the fusion reaction itself. Therefore, for the purposes of this calculation, it is acceptable to assume that the proton has no kinetic energy before the fusion reaction.

Additionally, it is important to note that the energy released in the CNO cycle is not solely determined by the mass difference between the reactants and products. The energy also depends on the binding energy of the nuclei involved. This is why the value of 1.95 MeV is used in the wiki page, as it takes into account the binding energy of the hydrogen nucleus.

I hope this helps clarify any concerns you may have had. Thank you for your interest in the CNO cycle.

1. What is the CNO cycle and how does it release energy?

The CNO cycle, also known as the carbon-nitrogen-oxygen cycle, is a nuclear fusion process that occurs in the cores of stars, including our sun. It involves the conversion of hydrogen into helium through a series of reactions involving carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen atoms. This process releases energy in the form of gamma rays, which eventually make their way to the surface of the star and are emitted as visible light.

2. How does the CNO cycle differ from other energy-producing processes in stars?

Unlike other nuclear fusion processes, such as the proton-proton chain, the CNO cycle requires higher temperatures and densities to occur. It also produces more energy per reaction, making it the dominant energy source in more massive stars.

3. What are the main products of the CNO cycle?

The main products of the CNO cycle are helium nuclei (alpha particles), gamma rays, and positrons. These positrons quickly annihilate with electrons, releasing more energy in the form of gamma rays.

4. How does the CNO cycle sustain the energy output of a star?

The CNO cycle is a self-sustaining process, meaning that the energy it releases helps to maintain the high temperatures and pressures needed for the reactions to continue. As long as there is a sufficient supply of hydrogen fuel, the CNO cycle will continue to release energy and sustain the star's energy output.

5. What is the role of carbon in the CNO cycle?

Carbon acts as a catalyst in the CNO cycle, facilitating the fusion of hydrogen nuclei and reducing the energy barrier for the reactions to occur. Without carbon, the CNO cycle would not be as efficient in producing energy and would not be the dominant energy source in more massive stars.