Calculating Energy Released in Fusion Reactions and Comparing to Gasoline

In summary: I think I might have been doing something wrong on the first part but I'm not sure what it is. I'll try again and let you know if I get a different answer.
NDiggity

Homework Statement

Two deuterium nuclei (deuterium= 2.014102u) combine thru fusion to form a tritium nucleus (mass 3.016050u) and a proton.

2. Attempt at solution
Two parts to this problem:
a) Calculate the energy released in one fusion reaction (in MeV).

So for this I went [(initial masses)-(final masses)]c^2.
So [(2x2.014102u)-(3.016050u + 1.007276u)]931.5 MeV/u (we are given c^2=931.5MeV/u)

So I get 4.54 MeV. The answer is supposed to be 4.03 MeV. What am I doing wrong?b)Calculate the ratio of energy released from 1.00x10^22 deuterium nuclei to 1kg of gasoline (5.00x10^7 J).

Using the correct answer from part a, I go:

4.03 Mev x 1.00x10^22 / ((5.00x10^7 J x 1 eV/1.60x10^-19 J) x 1MeV / 10^6 eV) and i get 128.96. The correct answer is 64.6. Again, what am I doing wrong :p.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the source of your deuteron and triton masses? When I use the ones you state, I get your answer of 4.54 MeV. When I use the masses provided at the NIST website [2006 physical constants: deuteron mass: 2.013553 u, triton mass: 3.015501 u], I get 4.03 MeV.

For the second part, the energy release is 4.03 MeV per reaction and two deuterium nuclei go into each reaction. Your answer is off by a factor of 2...

Last edited:
Hi NDiggity,

NDiggity said:

Homework Statement

Two deuterium nuclei (deuterium= 2.014102u) combine thru fusion to form a tritium nucleus (mass 3.016050u) and a proton.

2. Attempt at solution
Two parts to this problem:
a) Calculate the energy released in one fusion reaction (in MeV).

So for this I went [(initial masses)-(final masses)]c^2.
So [(2x2.014102u)-(3.016050u + 1.007276u)]931.5 MeV/u (we are given c^2=931.5MeV/u)

So I get 4.54 MeV. The answer is supposed to be 4.03 MeV. What am I doing wrong?

It looks to me like you are using the masses of the deuterium and tritium atom, instead of just the mass of the nuclei. The electron has a mass of 0.000549u, and including that is enough to give the wrong answer. The nucleus of the deuterium and tritium have masses:

dueterium nucleus: 2.013553 u
tritium nucleus: 3.015501 u

b)Calculate the ratio of energy released from 1.00x10^22 deuterium nuclei to 1kg of gasoline (5.00x10^7 J).

Using the correct answer from part a, I go:

4.03 Mev x 1.00x10^22 / ((5.00x10^7 J x 1 eV/1.60x10^-19 J) x 1MeV / 10^6 eV) and i get 128.96. The correct answer is 64.6. Again, what am I doing wrong :p.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Each reaction releases 4.03 MeV. How many reactions occur from 1 x 10^22 deuterium nuclei?

Ahhhhhhhhhh, thank you so much both of you!

1. What is fusion and how does it release energy?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases energy because the mass of the resulting nucleus is slightly less than the combined mass of the original nuclei. This difference in mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

2. What elements are involved in fusion reactions?

Fusion reactions typically involve light elements such as hydrogen and helium. However, heavier elements can also be used in fusion reactions, such as lithium, boron, and carbon. These elements must have a high number of protons in order to overcome the repulsive force between positively charged nuclei.

3. What are the conditions required for fusion to occur?

Fusion requires extremely high temperatures and pressures to overcome the repulsive force between nuclei. In the core of the sun, temperatures reach millions of degrees Celsius and pressures are immense. In order to achieve fusion on Earth, scientists use special devices called tokamaks to create these extreme conditions.

4. Can fusion reactions be controlled and sustained?

Yes, scientists have been able to control and sustain fusion reactions for short periods of time in tokamaks and other fusion devices. However, sustaining fusion reactions for longer periods of time is still a major challenge due to the high temperatures and pressures required and the difficulty of containing the hot plasma.

5. What are the potential benefits of fusion energy?

Fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. Unlike nuclear fission reactions, fusion reactions do not produce long-lived radioactive waste. Additionally, the fuel for fusion reactions, such as hydrogen, is abundant and can be extracted from seawater.