1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy required for temperature raise - temperature-dependent specific heat capacity

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    Any help on this quistion would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea ho to answere it, and can't find anything in my nothes or books anywhere.

The temperature-dependent molar specific heat capacity at constant pressure of many substances is given by: c =a+2bT−cT^−2

For magnesium, the numerical values of the constants are: a=25.7, b=3.13x10^-3, c=3.27x10^5

where c has units J/Kxmol

Calculate the energy required to raise the temperature of 15g of Megnesium from 30 C to 300 C.

I have tried using the formula to qenerate a specific heat capacity for each temperature, but just seem to get crazy numbers that don't make any sense!

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Re: Energy required for temperature raise - temperature-dependent specific heat capac

When S.H is a constant, c, then energy=c x delta T

which looks like what you'd get from integral of c from T1 to T2

So try integral of c from T1 to T2 where c is a function of T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?