Energy Required for UV Light

• Thread starter Sirsh
  • Start date
Hi all,

I have a few questions in regards to UV light (or any other light on the spectrum) and if any one could point me in the direction of any textbook or online resource to read up it would be appreciated.

I would like to know how you can figure out the amount of energy required to produce UV light so that it can penetrate a certain distance, for example: I want to emit a 'beam' of UV light over a length of 2 metres, how can this be figured out? and is there any way to find out how much of the UV lights 'concentration' has been dissipated into the surrounding atmosphere.

Sorry, I do not have the strongest suit in this type of physics.

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

Well you can visit <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ultravoilet [Broken] light> for details -
you want UV light to penetrate some things but normally it does nor -the penetrating power is of x-rays which has smaller wavelenths than UV.
you wish to know energy of UV light -the energy is dependent on frequency of the light and UV is a group of light- frequencies- so i will advise that you may go to physics classroom and systematically come to various questions coming into your mental frame' you can take a grad. level optics/radiation book and search for primary issues with light -conceptually.

Last edited by a moderator:
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
UV light is hardly attenuated by normal atmosphere, so it will propagate considerable distances.

Likes drvrm