1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy required to heat a house

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    I have an problem that can not solve, any help would greatly appreciated.

A house has well-insulated walls.It contains a volume of 100m3 of air at 300K. Calculate the energy required to increase the temperature of this diatomic gas by 2 degree celsius. Assume it is heating at constant pressure and use Cp=7R/2.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's stopping YOU from solving it? You've got a heat capacity, you've got a temp difference. What more could you want? Oh, yeah, maybe the number of moles?

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Thanks Dick, that's problem I couldn't solve for the number of moles. I know the formular

PV=nRT, the problem here, how can I find P & R? P is constant? T is 275 right? or Delta T is 275, make me confuse.... the answer is:118KJ,236KJ,354KJ,472KJ
    I don't get any the right one. please help

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They are talking about a 'house'. I think you can assume the pressure is 1 atmosphere. You don't 'find' R. It's a constant. You look it up. The problem you quoted says T=300K.

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    Hi Dick,

I wonder "Calculate the energy required to increase the temperature of this diatomic gas by 2 degree celsius. Assume it is heating at constant pressure and use Cp=7R/2."

They asked for the energy required to increase the temperature of this diatomis gas by 2 degree celsius. I got stuck in here.

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(Change in energy)=(Heat capacity)*(change in temperature)*(amount of stuff). You are already given two quantities on the right side - you just need to find the amount of stuff. Number of moles, remember?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?