Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy - running

1. May 5, 2005 #1
    Hello
    I was trying to calculate the energy in calories used by a man of weight M running at speed V. What would be the fastest way to calculate this?
    E = 1/2 (Vf^2) x M - 1/2 (Vi^2) x M

(with Vf = final velocity and Vi = initial velocity )

Oh by the way I designed a simple program for Windows XP about vectors,
    it's very simple but it's also useful for those who study physics. check it out

http://www.freewebs.com/horazio/freeware.htm

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't make any sense.A man may be running at constant speed (no KE variation),but he'd be burning calories like crazy...

Daniel.

4. May 5, 2005 #3

minger

Science Advisor

Running is very tricky to calculate energy for because it's not perfectly linear. By linear I mean that you don't just travel straight while running. If you think of each running step as a jump at some angle from the horizontal, you can see that there will be a component in the vertical direction. This component would almost certainly depend on the runner and how fast that particular runner was going.

5. May 5, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you are going to do it properly, the pros have a way to correlate energy expense as a function of oxygen intake. Since you're not going to do that, you should probably look into work/power instead of energy approach. You probably won't be anywhere in thae ballpark, but it will make more sense than the energy approach.

6. May 5, 2005 #5
    running (or walking) uses about 50-200 calories per mile depending on your weight, and (to a lesser extent) your speed.

7. May 5, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And, in any case, almost all of the calories burned will go "waste" energy because your body is a remarkably inefficient machine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?