Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Scattering

1. Sep 24, 2008 #1
    What does this term mean? In particular a solution of the wave equation scattering to infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I have no idea. I've never seen the phrase "energy scattering." Can you give an exact quotation from where you saw it?

Are you perhaps trying to translate something into English from another language?

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3
  5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It looks like the author is starting with the Laplace equation, which usually indicates wave processes, such as electromagnetic waves. The paper could be discussing one of a few things.

1) It could be simply determining existence conditions for stable scattering solutions.

2) AFAIK, the radiometric model of coherence is an underdetermined problem; this paper could represent work trying to better model how coherent light propogates.

My guess is that it's #1.

6. Sep 24, 2008 #5
    Ah ok, well I was trying to determine whether or not the wave equations always produces solutions without singularities, if not then when? Working in 1D.

I would be very grateful for any help!

7. Sep 25, 2008 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Actually, light scattering often produces singularities. These can be caustics, morphology-dependent resonances, and other phenomena.

Edit: I should clarify- those singularities occur in 2 or 3 dimensions (maybe more than 3, but I'm not concerned with those). Don't know if they can occur in 1 dimension. For a while I was reading about catastrophe theory, and I think you need at least 2 dimensions for a caustic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?