Energy Self-Shielding: Explaining the Concept

In summary: Don't think of the flux as time-varying. The neutrons can't be at those energy range, because if they were, they would have been absorbed!
middlephysics
Can someone explain the concept to me? As far as I know, in some energy interval there are materials which have resonance absorption. The book then goes on to say that energy self shielding does something to combat this absorption but I am not clear on how and hope someone can clear this up for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neutron absorption rate is proportional to flux. At resonance peaks, there is a reduction in flux due to the large absorption cross section. Therefore, there are less total absorptions over that energy range as flux is depressed. Thus, the resonance peak shields itself.

This is what I thought, but this is basically like saying "There are less absorptions because the absorptions reduce the flux"... well ok, but this is a tautology I don't see any "shielding" per say

edit: to understand where I'm coming from- it's like saying: a bunch of army men walk onto a mine field and some get blown up by mines. Now there are less army men to step on mines, so they've been "shielded".

Last edited:
middlephysics said:
This is what I thought, but this is basically like saying "There are less absorptions because the absorptions reduce the flux"... well ok, but this is a tautology I don't see any "shielding" per say

edit: to understand where I'm coming from- it's like saying: a bunch of army men walk onto a mine field and some get blown up by mines. Now there are less army men to step on mines, so they've been "shielded".
It's more along the lines that there are less mines on which personnel would step.

The removal of neutrons of a given energy range (window) by absorption means the flux at that energy level (over that range) is reduced so that the rate of aborption decreases as compared to flux measured at the higher level.

The shielding can be seen if one looks radially into a cylindrical fuel pin or plate or sphere. There is more absorption (an Pu/TU production) at the surface than interior of the fuel. Pu and TU build up on the periphery of a fuel pellet or plate or sphere more so than in the interior. There is more 'shielding' as enrichment increases.

Astronuc said:
It's more along the lines that there are less mines on which personnel would step.

The removal of neutrons of a given energy range (window) by absorption means the flux at that energy level (over that range) is reduced so that the rate of aborption decreases as compared to flux measured at the higher level.

Thanks for the response. I've heard it enough, I understand it, I feel OK about it, so I'll accept it.

Just seems like the resonance absorpers have stolen a bunch of neutrons at a specific range and now they can't really steal anymore, but if "shielding" is the way to see it.. ok

Last edited:
middlephysics said:
Thanks for the response. I've heard it enough, I understand it, I feel OK about it, so I'll accept it.

Just seems like the resonance absorpers have stolen a bunch of neutrons at a specific range and now they can't really steal anymore, but if "shielding" is the way to see it.. ok

Don't think of the flux as time-varying. The neutrons can't be at those energy range, because if they were, they would have been absorbed! It sounds like circular definition because it is - that is the nature of differential equations.

And to address your minefield example, it would be more like the soldiers know there's a minefield there so they don't walk over it to begin with. Therefore the minefield is shielded from the soldiers.

Or alternatively, in the case of spatial self-shielding, imagine a minefield with mines that set off only if the soldier weighs more than 200 lbs. The soldiers march through the minefield trying to get to the object at the center. All of the heavy soldiers get blown up, so only the thin soldiers make it to the center. The center is shielded from heavy soldiers and so no mines get set off there.

1. What is energy self-shielding?

Energy self-shielding is a concept in nuclear physics where an atomic nucleus shields itself from the effects of external radiation by absorbing and re-emitting energy at specific energy levels. This process is known as resonance scattering and helps to protect the nucleus from damage.

2. Why is energy self-shielding important?

Energy self-shielding is important because it allows for the stability of atomic nuclei in the presence of high levels of radiation. Without this process, nuclear reactions could occur at an uncontrollable rate, leading to potentially dangerous situations.

3. How does energy self-shielding work?

Energy self-shielding works by using resonance scattering to absorb and re-emit energy at specific energy levels, effectively shielding the nucleus from the effects of external radiation. This process is based on the energy levels of the nucleus and the incoming radiation.

4. What are some examples of energy self-shielding?

One example of energy self-shielding is in the nuclear fuel of a nuclear reactor. The fuel rods contain materials that are able to self-shield, preventing the radioactive materials from reacting too quickly and causing a meltdown. Another example is in the Earth's atmosphere, where certain gases act as self-shielding materials, protecting us from harmful cosmic radiation.

5. How is energy self-shielding measured?

The effectiveness of energy self-shielding is measured by the absorption cross-section, which is a measurement of how much radiation is absorbed by the nucleus. A higher absorption cross-section means a more effective self-shielding material.