Exploring Military SF: Realistic Energy Shields

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of energy shields in a military science fiction setting. The participants discuss the use of handheld plasma shields for small mechas and the challenges of using them in space. They also touch upon the idea of using lasers and particle beams to ionize and divert projectiles. It is mentioned that the plasma shield technology does not need to be extensively explained and can be left to the reader's imagination. However, adding too much technical detail may disrupt the genre of the story. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to stick to pop culture references and avoid trying to justify the use of plasma shields with real physics.
GTOM
I am writing a military SF, and wonder, what could be the most realistic things, that are close to the old SF concept of energy shields.
So far, i wrote that a small mecha uses a handheld plasma shield against an incoming missile. Like explosive reactive armor, it meant to shatter the projectile, before it could penetrate armor.
In space the challenge is much bigger due to very high closing speed. Even shrapnels can be pretty dangerous. Maybe ionise them with lasers, particle beams, then use an electric, or magnetic field to divert them? i guess the field has to extend to a big range from the hull. Maybe it is more suitable for a space station, and a ship should rather rely on high energy lasers and manuevering?
No hyperspace and things like that in my setting, only fusion drives.

Physics news on Phys.org
GTOM said:
handheld plasma shield
Did you specify the working principles for that one, or it was just entrusted to the imagination of the reader?

Rive said:
Did you specify the working principles for that one, or it was just entrusted to the imagination of the reader?
I didnt feel i needed lengthy explanations. I described it glowed white, then destroyed the missile.

Then I don't think you need much more explanation for the spaceship-sized version either.

You may include some technobabble that the mecha-sized mobile one was limited in size/form due energy requirements, but the ship has enough beef to extend it and bend it to shape. That'll cover it nicely, I guess.

Once you went with the general popcult stuff without inventing any tech details to back it up you better keep it that way.

Likes Melbourne Guy
Rive said:
Then I don't think you need much more explanation for the spaceship-sized version either.

You may include some technobabble that the mecha-sized mobile one was limited in size/form due energy requirements, but the ship has enough beef to extend it and bend it to shape. That'll cover it nicely, I guess.

Once you went with the general popcult stuff without inventing any tech details to back it up you better keep it that way.
I might cared more about tech details, if i knew anything about plasma and ball lightning physics, how it is possible to contain plasma without a large external structure.

GTOM said:
how it is possible to contain plasma without a large external structure.
There are things beyond saving once they brought up in a hard quasi-realistic Sci-Fi and popcult plasma shields are just one of them.
And the more you want to fabricate some real physics to back it up, the worse: past a point it won't do even for technobabble (sadly, Star Wars did that numerous times in their 'extra content', for example).

Please don't misunderstand: those popcult plasma shields are just nice - if you really need them for a story then you should just use them without any worry. But trying to add 'real' physics in a story where a plasma shield is used is just about messing up the genre and should be avoided if possible.

Last edited:

1. How do energy shields work in military science fiction?

Energy shields in military science fiction are often portrayed as a protective barrier that can deflect or absorb incoming energy-based attacks, such as lasers or plasma beams. They are typically powered by a source of energy, such as a battery or generator, and can be activated and deactivated by the user.

2. Are energy shields a realistic technology?

Currently, energy shields as depicted in military science fiction do not exist in real life. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to create similar technologies, such as electromagnetic fields or plasma-based shields. It is possible that in the future, energy shields may become a reality.

3. Can energy shields stop all types of attacks?

Energy shields in military science fiction are often portrayed as impenetrable barriers that can stop any type of attack. However, in reality, energy shields would have limitations and may not be able to stop all types of attacks. For example, some shields may be more effective against energy-based attacks, while others may be vulnerable to physical attacks.

4. What are the potential military applications of energy shields?

If energy shields were to become a reality, they could have various military applications. They could be used to protect soldiers and vehicles from enemy attacks, create safe zones in war zones, or even be used as a form of non-lethal weapon to immobilize or disorient enemies. However, further research and development would be needed to fully understand and harness the capabilities of energy shields.

5. How do energy shields impact the overall realism of military science fiction?

Energy shields are often a staple in military science fiction, but their inclusion can vary in terms of realism. Some authors and creators may choose to explain the technology in detail and ground it in scientific principles, while others may use it as a plot device without much explanation. Ultimately, the impact on realism will depend on how well the technology is integrated into the story and how consistent it is with the laws of physics.