Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy software

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1
    Does anyone know any good software to calculate the need for cooling/heating and such in builidings? One where I can change properties of almost every building aspect, such as wall-thickness, insulation, sun conditions, windows, outside temp, inside temp, and so on to find the energy needed to keep a specific temp inside while the outside conditions are such and such.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2006 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I use CHVC: www.elitesoft.com

I've heard Carrier has a decent one too. Do a Google for "hvac load calculation software" and you'll get several more. Be aware, though, that most of these are professional products and generally have professional pricetags.

4. Jan 8, 2006 #3
    Ah, excellent, I've used this one. Then you might be able to answer this question: how to I change the thickness of walls? And also, I would like to use custom walls, floors and ceilings, since the preset choices are US standards which don't tell me ****, but I'm not sure how to "design" a custom let's say wall with insulation thickness, and other layers of material that might be in it. Any suggestions?

5. Jan 8, 2006 #4

russ_watters

I'll give you a walkthrough at work tomorrow...

6. Jan 8, 2006 #5
    As long as it is possible I'm satisfied, but a walkthrough would be nice :-)

7. Jan 9, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Well, first off, in the General Project Data ("G" button in the toolbar), there is an option for switching to Metric units. Then in the "Master" menu ("M" button in the toolbar), there is a tab for roofs, walls, and partitions. Under "walls", there are four drop-down menus. The one on the left brings up a box allowing you to build your own. The second one gives common wall types (it's what I usually use). The third one gives a calculator similar to the wall builder in the first tab.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?