1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Spectrum for Hamiltonian

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the energy spectrum of a system whose Hamiltonian is
    H=Ho+H'=[-(planks const)^2/2m][d^2/dx^2]+.5m(omega)^2x^2+ax^3+bx^4

I gues my big question to begin is what exactly makes up the energy spectrum. I know the equation to the first and second order perturbations but Im not sure exactly what the energy spectrum entails. Please help.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ive figured out that H'=ax^3+bx^4

and Ho==[-(planks const)^2/2m][d^2/dx^2]+.5m(omega)^2x^2
    and lambda=1 which mean ita a full perturbation
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

In QM, "energy spectrum" is just a stupid word that they use to mean the set of possible energy eigenvalues. I personally hate that terminology; it's so misleading.

I don't know what this means.
  4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    haha obviously I agree with you and I read that the lambda in the equation for H=Ho+(lambda)H' when equals to zero means its an unperturbed equation and when it is equal to 1 then its fully perturbed. I dont know I read it.
    But I guess my next question how many energy eigenvalues are there? Does that mean I should probably only go to the second oreder corrections?
  5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

How many eigenvalues are there for H0? Can the perturbation remove or add any, or does it just shift them?
  6. Nov 13, 2010 #5
    Sorry, I could say that book is the question?. thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?