Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy spectrums in QM

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    This is about quantum mechanics, but it is sufficiently difficult existence question dealing with DE and operator theory, that I think it fits the DE subforum the best:

Let [tex]E:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] be an arbitrary map, but so that [tex]\textrm{Im}(E)[/tex] is bounded from below. Does there exist a measurable function [tex]V:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] such that the eigenvalues of the operator

[tex]
    H = -\frac{1}{2}\partial_x^2 + M_V
    [/tex]

are the given [tex]E(n)[/tex]?

Here [tex]M_V:\mathbb{C}^{\mathbb{R}}\to \mathbb{C}^{\mathbb{R}}[/tex] is the multiplication operator [tex](M_V\psi)(x) = V(x)\psi(x)[/tex].

For the sake of rigor we can give the following definition for the domain of H,

[tex]
    D(H) = \{\psi\in L^2(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{C})\;|\; \psi\;\textrm{is piece wisely}\;C^2\quad\textrm{and}\quad \int dx\;\Big|-\frac{1}{2}\partial_x^2\psi(x) + V(x)\psi(x)\Big|^2 < \infty\}
    [/tex]

So H is a mapping [tex]H:D(H)\to L^2(\mathbb{R},\mathbb{C})[/tex].

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

I'm not a math person, so just a wild question:is your question equivalent to asking whether a Hamiltonian exists whose eigenvalues are the zeros of the Riemann zeta function?

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    I don't know enough of Riemann zeta function to answer that. I'll say that I don't know how precisely my question would be related to it now.

If [tex]T:\mathcal{H}\to\mathcal{H}[/tex] is some linear operator on some inner product space, we can define a new non-linear mapping

[tex]
    f:\mathcal{H}\to\mathcal{H},\quad f(\psi) = T\psi - \frac{(\psi|T\psi)}{\|\psi\|^2}\psi
    [/tex]

which has the property

[tex]
    f(\psi)=0\quad\Leftrightarrow\quad T\psi\propto\psi,
    [/tex]

so in this sense every eigenvalue problem is related to a problem of finding zeros of some function. So... who knows?

5. Sep 9, 2008 #4
    Now I read your post more carefully. You were speaking about eigenvalues being zeros of some function, and I was about eigenvectors being zeros of some function. So this seems to be different thing.

6. Sep 9, 2008 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

Let's see, I understood your question to be:
    Given a countable set of real numbers, does a Hamiltonian exist such that its eigenvalues are the elements of the given set?

(A little more strictly, you asked if a V(x) exists such that the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian are the elements of the given set.)

7. Sep 10, 2008 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

8. Sep 10, 2008 #7
    I see. So the problem I described, seems to be similar to the Berry Conjecture.

9. Sep 10, 2008 #8

atyy

Science Advisor

Hmm, reading the Berry conjecture, it seems they need a more general form of the Hamiltonian than in your problem. I wonder whether they've already ruled out "nice" Hamiltonians, and if so, how they did that.

10. Sep 12, 2008 #9

atyy

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?