Energy spent on holding a kg

• Thread starter jc.int
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hello,
If I hold 1kilogram at one meter of the groud during an hour, what would be the theoretical energy I am spending (in joules for example)?

Thank you,
Jaimie

Answers and Replies

cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You're not doing any work because the displacement of the object is 0.

However, your muscles, as a biological system, are inefficient. To just bear a load without moving it, they must alternately contract and relax rapidly. As a result, your body expends chemical energy and you do end up feeling tired.

You're not doing any work because the displacement of the object is 0.

However, your muscles, as a biological system, are inefficient. To just bear a load without moving it, they must alternately contract and relax rapidly. As a result, your body expends chemical energy and you do end up feeling tired.
Indeed. And as a result, the amount of energy expended depends more on your muscle tone, circulation, metabolism, etc. then on simple physics of the weight and gravity. Place the same kilogram on a solid table for an hour and it becomes obvious that no energy is being expended (the table does not run down its batteries/use up its fuel, etc.)

I agree with you but when a helicopter holds a weight it is using energy to compense the gravity force, isn't it?

cjl
Science Advisor
Yes, because once again, it is inefficient. A helium balloon can hold a weight as well, and it would require no energy input to do so.