1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy spent on holding a kg

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    hello,
    If I hold 1kilogram at one meter of the groud during an hour, what would be the theoretical energy I am spending (in joules for example)?

Thank you,
    Jaimie

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're not doing any work because the displacement of the object is 0.

However, your muscles, as a biological system, are inefficient. To just bear a load without moving it, they must alternately contract and relax rapidly. As a result, your body expends chemical energy and you do end up feeling tired.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    Indeed. And as a result, the amount of energy expended depends more on your muscle tone, circulation, metabolism, etc. then on simple physics of the weight and gravity. Place the same kilogram on a solid table for an hour and it becomes obvious that no energy is being expended (the table does not run down its batteries/use up its fuel, etc.)

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4
    I agree with you but when a helicopter holds a weight it is using energy to compense the gravity force, isn't it?

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5

cjl

Yes, because once again, it is inefficient. A helium balloon can hold a weight as well, and it would require no energy input to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook