Energy stored in a capacitor

In summary: It looks as though the person who said the answer should be 1.53x10^-5 J was using 1/2 QV2 instead of CV2/2, and QV is indeed 1.53x10^-5.In summary, to find the energy stored in a parallel plate capacitor with capacitance C = 1.7 uF and a potential difference of 3 V between the plates, the correct equation to use is U = 1/2 CV^2. Plugging in the values, the energy stored is 7.65x10^-6 J. The given answer of 1.53x10^-5 J was most likely obtained using the incorrect equation 1/2 Q
Cal124

Homework Statement

Parallel plate capacitor, C = 1.7 uF
the difference between the two plates is 3 V
Find the energy stored in the capacitor

Homework Equations

U = 1/2 QV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

U = 1/2 (1.7x10^-6 F) (3V)^2 = 3.65x10^-6 J

Says the answer is: 1.53x10^-5 J

Not sure where I've gone wrong, any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
You misquoted the equation... should be either QV/2 or CV2/2, but the start of the next line was ok.
I don't understand how you then got 3.65 etc. I think you should have got exactly half the given answer.
Are you sure the question is how much energy is stored, not how much energy was required to store the charge?

Likes Cal124
"calculate the energy stored in the capacitor when the difference of potential between the two plates is 3V"
Apologies, yeah i meant CV2/2 but surly that is the same as 1/2 CV2, so using the equation:
Capacitance = 1.7 uF = 1.7x10-6 F
Difference of potential between the two plates = 3 V
// Energy stored = 1/2 . 1.7x10-6 . 32
// = 7.65x10-6 J

Thanks for your help

Cal124 said:
Apologies, yeah i meant CV2/2 but surly that is the same as 1/2 CV2, so using the equation:
of course, but you wrote 1/2 QV2.

Any idea where I've gone wrong?

Cal124 said:
Any idea where I've gone wrong?
I agree with your last answer.

What is the basic concept of energy stored in a capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor is the potential energy that is stored in the electric field between two conductive plates. When a capacitor is connected to a voltage source, it builds up a charge on its plates and stores energy in the form of an electric field.

What is the equation for calculating the energy stored in a capacitor?

The equation for energy stored in a capacitor is E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts.

How does the capacitance affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor determines how much charge it can hold at a given voltage. Therefore, the higher the capacitance, the more energy the capacitor can store.

Can the energy stored in a capacitor be used in a circuit?

Yes, the energy stored in a capacitor can be used in a circuit to power devices or perform work. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it releases its stored energy, which can be used to power the circuit.

What factors can affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be affected by factors such as the capacitance, voltage, and the dielectric material between the plates. Temperature and frequency can also have an impact on the energy stored in a capacitor.