1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy stored in a RLC circuit

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then disconnected from the power and connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor.

Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor at time t = 0{\rm{ ms}} (the moment of connection with the inductor).

Calculate the energy stored in the inductor at t = 1.30 ms.

2. Relevant equations

i=-omegaQsin(omega*t)

and U=.5LI^2

I need to either find charge q or a resistance value to find I with and I'm stuck..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi danbone87,

The way the capacitor is initially connected by itself to the battery will give you its initaial Q value.

If I'm reading the problem correctly, there is no resistor; just a capacitor connected to an inductor.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then disconnected from the power and connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor.

Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor at time t = 0{\rm{ ms}} (the moment of connection with the inductor).

Calculate the energy stored in the inductor at t = 1.30 ms.

ans= q=cv=22u*160m gives u charge
    energy=.5*22u*160m*160m=1/2(c*v*v)
    now
    VL=Ldi/dt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?