1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Stored in an Inductor

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Not really relevant here.

2. Relevant equations

U = LI^2 -- maybe?

3. The attempt at a solution

http://i.imgur.com/Pq4dOex.png

The picture is there, as well as the answer. Why is that the answer? How do inductors work when completely disconnected, and not in a circuit? Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The inductor is in a circuit.

1/2 LI^2 (note the prefactor) is indeed the energy stored in an inductor.

4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    I'm an idiot. The question asks what happens when the switch is switched over to position B, after being in position A for "a very long time"

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sine curve in the illustration tells you what happens to UL.

Hint: the instantaneous sum of stored energies in C and L is a constant.

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5
    I guess I'm just confused as to why the energy in the inductor decreases, but then increases again?

7. Nov 28, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't give you a good verbal explanation. A publication like the ARRL Handbook can.

Mathematically, the integro-differential equation 1/C∫0t i(t') dt' = -L di/dt is solved with initial condition i(0+) = E/R

where i is the current flowing out of the inductor and into the capacitor. Each term is the voltage at the capacitor and inductor.

8. Nov 28, 2013 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Because the L-C elements represent a resonant circuit (having no resistive losses). Just as a child's swing oscillates when you release it from some height, so does the energy in the analogous L-C circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted