How to Calculate Energy Loss in an Inductor with Internal Resistance?

In summary, the current in an inductor increases as energy is stored, but some of it is lost to Joule heating. The power lost is given by the expression P = I*R.
meadow
help please!

I need a little help here.
The question says to consider an inductor with L=16H and an internal resistance of 0.10 ohms. We wish to use this inductor to store 0.10 MJ of energy. What is the rate at which energy is lost to Joule heating in this system? It is not practical to store large amounts of energy in large inductors unless the wire is superconducting.

my work: I know the energy stored in an inductor is 1/2*LI^2. So how would I find the current given the information? And is the rate found by multiplying current by the emf?

Am I far off?

Physics news on Phys.org
meadow said:
I need a little help here.
The question says to consider an inductor with L=16H and an internal resistance of 0.10 ohms. We wish to use this inductor to store 0.10 MJ of energy. What is the rate at which energy is lost to Joule heating in this system? It is not practical to store large amounts of energy in large inductors unless the wire is superconducting.
my work: I know the energy stored in an inductor is 1/2*LI^2. So how would I find the current given the information? And is the rate found by multiplying current by the emf?
Am I far off?
The I in this expression represents the final current in the inductor. The energy builds as the current increases and is stored in the magnetic field of the inductor. But some is lost to heating the conductor. The power lost by this current to resistance of the wire is the quantity you are trying to find. Use the expression for power loss (P) in terms of I and R. and integrate that as I goes from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{2E/L}[/itex]:

[tex]E_{loss} = \int_0^{\sqrt{2E/L}} Pdt[/tex]

AM

thank you!

thanks so much!

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coiled wire and is used in electronic circuits to regulate current flow.

How does an inductor store energy?

When a current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. The magnetic field stores energy, similar to how a battery stores chemical energy. The amount of energy stored in an inductor is proportional to the square of the current and the inductance of the coil.

What is inductance?

Inductance is a measure of an inductor's ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of Henry (H) and is determined by the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the coil, and the type of material used for the core.

How is energy released from an inductor?

When the current through an inductor is suddenly interrupted, the magnetic field collapses and releases the stored energy. This can create a brief surge of current in the opposite direction, which is why inductors are often used to smooth out the flow of current in a circuit.

What are some practical applications of inductors?

Inductors are used in a variety of electronic devices, including power supplies, motors, speakers, and radios. They are also used in electrical transmission systems to regulate voltage and current. In addition, inductors are essential components in many types of electronic filters, such as those used in audio equipment and telecommunication systems.