1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy stored in capacitors

1. Aug 30, 2007 #1
    Two capacitors, C1 = 20 µF and C2 = 5.0 µF, are connected in parallel and charged with a 150 V power supply

A.) Energy Stored I found to be is 2.81*10^-1 J

B.)What potential difference would be required across the same two capacitors connected in series in order that the combination store the same energy as in (a)?

Delta V= sqrt of (2*Energy stored/C) This eqn can b used to solve for delta V

I have no idea what im doing wrong! I have used the capcitor in parallel combo of C= C1+C2..... Then I have converted the microFaraday charges of these sums to Faraday but no success

Any Suggestions??
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that the effective capacitance of capacitors in series is given by:

[tex]\frac{1}{C}=\frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2}...... [/tex]

You also know that the energy stored is given by:

So you have rearranged perfectly well but the problem could just be that you are using the parallel combination rather than the series combination to find the effective capacitance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?