• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Energy stores in RL circuit

• Thread starter syhpui2
  • Start date

Homework Statement

An inductor initially has 3 A of current passing through it at time t = 0. The current through the inductor increases at a constant rate until 5 A of current is flowing through it 1s later at t = 1 s. The voltage across the inductor is 4 μV while the current is increasing. What is the increase in the energy stored in the inductor between t = 0 and t = 1 s?

Answer: 16 μJ

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use U=1/2 I^2L to find the energy? But how enery increased? And how can I find current over inductor?

Thx

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
I can use U=1/2 I^2L to find the energy? But how enery increased? And how can I find current over inductor?

Thx
I suggest that you find the inductance L first. What's the defining formula for inductance (hint: it involves a derivative).

Once you have the inductance you can determine the energy stored for each level of current.

I suggest that you find the inductance L first. What's the defining formula for inductance (hint: it involves a derivative).

Once you have the inductance you can determine the energy stored for each level of current.
So I just use V/ (dl/dt)?

gneill
Mentor
So I just use V/ (dl/dt)?
Try it and find out!