Energy to remove a proton and a neutron from a nucleus

In summary: If you subtracted the mass of the neutron, then you would be calculating the energy required to remove the neutron from the nucleus, and that would be incorrect. If you subtracted the mass difference between the nucleus with the neutron and the nucleus with the neutron now free, then you would be calculating the energy required to remove the neutron from the nucleus, and that would be correct.
Fowler_NottinghamUni
Hey guys, I know this is basic nuclear physics but I've forgotten how to do it. Given the atomic mass of Oxygen 16 (8p 8n), Oxygen 15(7n 8p) and Nitrogen 15(8n 7p), having found the average energy binding energy per nucleon (i think i have it right) find how much energy is required to remove proton from oxygen 16 and one neutron?

Many thanks Gav.

Physics news on Phys.org
BE/nucleon is a hard way to do that.
Find the total (accurate in MeV) mass of the 3 nuclei and of the p and n
Then E_p=O(16)-N(15)-p and E_n=O(16)-O(15)-n.
The symbols satand for the masses in MeV.

Fowler_NottinghamUni said:
Hey guys, I know this is basic nuclear physics but I've forgotten how to do it. Given the atomic mass of Oxygen 16 (8p 8n), Oxygen 15(7n 8p) and Nitrogen 15(8n 7p), having found the average energy binding energy per nucleon (i think i have it right) find how much energy is required to remove proton from oxygen 16 and one neutron?
Use [itex]\Delta E=\Delta mc^2[/itex] where [itex]\Delta m[/itex] is the total change in mass. Are you trying to remove a deuteron (proton-neutron pair) or a separate proton and neutron? A deuteron has slightly less mass than a separate proton and neutron.

AM

Hey, I am doing a similar problem, calculating the energy required to remove one neutron from Zr with atomic number 91 using the semi empirical mass formula.

Is it simply the average binding energy of the nucleon? Which I get to be 8.795 MeV.

Someone above has mentioned to use E=mc^2. If the question is only asking for the energy required to remove a nucleon, why would you need to use this?

Many Thanks

Shroom

shroom said:
Someone above has mentioned to use E=mc^2. If the question is only asking for the energy required to remove a nucleon, why would you need to use this?

Many Thanks

Shroom

I believe that when you determine the mass difference between the initial and final products you can convert the mass difference to energy to find the required energy to remove the nucleons.

Drakkith said:
I believe that when you determine the mass difference between the initial and final products you can convert the mass difference to energy to find the required energy to remove the nucleons.
Yes, which is the method to which Meir Achuz and Andrew Mason alluded.

One wants the binding energy of the last proton or last neutron, which is found from the mass defect, or difference in mass energy between the inital mass and final masses of the separated nucleus and particle in question.

Ah Ok so it's just a different (quicker) way of doing it?

Thanks

Shroom

I have the same problem as Shroom, and I am running out of ideas. I tried using the binding energy and subtracting by the mass of one neutron, but that was wrong. I think I am missing a key concept. Anyone have an idea?

nevername667 said:
I have the same problem as Shroom, and I am running out of ideas. I tried using the binding energy and subtracting by the mass of one neutron, but that was wrong. I think I am missing a key concept. Anyone have an idea?

Did you subtract the mass of the neutron, or the mass difference between the nucleus with the neutron and the nucleus with the neutron now free?

1. How is energy used to remove a proton and a neutron from a nucleus?

The energy required to remove a proton and a neutron from a nucleus is known as binding energy. This energy is the difference between the mass of the nucleus and the sum of the masses of its individual protons and neutrons. In order to remove a proton or neutron, this binding energy must be overcome.

2. Why is energy needed to remove a proton and a neutron from a nucleus?

The nucleus is held together by strong nuclear forces, which require a significant amount of energy to overcome. This energy is needed to break the bonds between the protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

3. How is the amount of energy needed to remove a proton and a neutron from a nucleus determined?

The amount of energy needed to remove a proton or neutron from a nucleus is determined by the stability of the nucleus. Generally, larger nuclei require more energy to remove a proton or neutron, as the nuclear forces are stronger in larger nuclei.

4. Can energy be used to add a proton and a neutron to a nucleus?

Yes, energy can also be used to add a proton and a neutron to a nucleus. This process is known as nuclear fusion and is responsible for the formation of heavier elements in stars.

5. How does the process of removing a proton and a neutron from a nucleus impact the stability of the nucleus?

Removing a proton or neutron from a nucleus can disrupt the balance of strong nuclear forces within the nucleus, making it less stable. This can lead to the nucleus undergoing radioactive decay in order to regain stability.