Energy to remove electrons from a conductor

In summary, energy is used to remove electrons from a conductor through a process called ionization, which requires a specific type of energy known as ionization energy. The amount of energy needed to remove electrons can vary among different conductors, with heavier atoms requiring more energy and lighter atoms requiring less. The removed electrons can either be transferred to another object or remain as free electrons in the conductor. Temperature can also affect the energy required to remove electrons, with higher temperatures making it easier to remove electrons from a conductor.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I am wondering how to calculate the electric field intensity needed to rip an electron from the conduction shel of a copper wire. I am not sure exactly where to look for this information but I know it is related to something like a cold-cathode effect where HV is used to pull electrons from electrodes rather than heat like a hot cathode.

To give you an idea of what I am thinking, if one has a short length of copper wire, say 14 gauge with a smaller coil wrapped around it of many turns, and then a high votage pulse was injected into the coil of wire, what electric field strength would this coil have to produce to give the electrons in the center copper wire enough energy to jump from the conduction band to a higher energy state?

The reason I am asking this is because I am interested in studying convection currents, and am trying to see if it is possible to create a convection current-like effect using conductors. I know that this cannot normally occur when the free electrons of the conductor are flowing on the surface of the wire because of resistance in the material lattice. My hypotheses is that if the conduction electrons could be raised to a high enough energy level that they form a cloud around the conductor much like a cold cathode, and perhaps they could exhibit the properties of a convection current for as long as they remain in the higher energy state. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason O

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jason,

That is an interesting question! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to calculate the electric field needed for this purpose. However, I do think it's possible to generate a convection current-like effect using conductors. My suggestion would be to research the different types of cold cathode effects and see if you can find any information about the electric field intensity needed for them. I'm sure there will be some resources out there that can help you with this. Good luck!

Dear Jason O.,

Thank you for your question regarding the energy required to remove electrons from a conductor. This is a complex topic that involves various factors such as the material properties of the conductor, the applied voltage, and the distance between the electrodes.

To answer your question, we must first understand the concept of work function. This is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a solid material. In the case of copper, the work function is approximately 4.7 electron volts (eV). This means that to remove an electron from the conduction band of a copper wire, an electric field must provide at least 4.7 eV of energy to overcome the attractive forces between the electron and the positively charged nucleus.

The electric field intensity needed to remove electrons from a conductor can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field intensity, V is the applied voltage, and d is the distance between the electrodes. However, this equation assumes a uniform electric field, which may not be the case in your scenario with a coil wrapped around the wire.

Additionally, as you mentioned, the cold-cathode effect plays a role in this process. This effect occurs when a high voltage is applied to a gas-filled tube, causing the gas molecules to ionize and create a plasma. This plasma can then accelerate electrons towards the cathode, causing them to be emitted from the surface.

In summary, the exact electric field intensity needed to remove electrons from a conductor will depend on various factors such as the material properties, applied voltage, and distance between electrodes. Further research and experimentation may be needed to accurately determine the required electric field intensity for your specific scenario.

As for your hypothesis about creating a convection current-like effect using conductors, this is an interesting concept that could potentially be explored further. However, it is important to note that the behavior of electrons in a conductor is governed by the laws of electricity and magnetism, and it may not be possible to create a convection current-like effect using conductors alone.

I hope this information helps to answer your questions. Best of luck with your research on convection currents.

1. How is energy used to remove electrons from a conductor?

Energy is used to remove electrons from a conductor through a process called ionization. This occurs when enough energy is applied to a conductor, causing the electrons to gain enough energy to break free from the atoms and become free electrons.

2. What is the specific type of energy needed to remove electrons from a conductor?

The specific type of energy needed to remove electrons from a conductor is called ionization energy. This is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in the conductor.

3. How does the amount of energy needed to remove electrons vary among different conductors?

The amount of energy needed to remove electrons from a conductor can vary depending on the type of conductor. Conductors with heavier atoms will generally require more energy to remove electrons, while conductors with lighter atoms will require less energy.

4. What happens to the removed electrons from a conductor?

The removed electrons from a conductor can either be transferred to another object or remain as free electrons in the conductor. If the conductor is part of an electrical circuit, the electrons may flow through the circuit to power devices.

5. How does temperature affect the energy required to remove electrons from a conductor?

Temperature can affect the energy required to remove electrons from a conductor. As the temperature of a conductor increases, the atoms in the conductor gain more energy and are more likely to release electrons. This means that higher temperatures can make it easier to remove electrons from a conductor.