Bulb Energy Transfer: How Does Voltage Affect Filament Breakage?

In summary, the conversation discusses an electric bulb marked 120 V, 40 W and the calculations and considerations for its operation on a 120 V supply and a 240 V supply. It also mentions the different ways in which energy can be transferred from the bulb's filament during normal operation and the potential changes in these processes when the voltage is increased. The conversation also brings up the concept of black body emission and its relationship to temperature in regards to the bulb's operation.
Kushal

Homework Statement

An electric bulb is marked 120 V, 40 W.
(a) Calculate the current in this bulb when operating on a 120 V supply.
(b) Describe 3 different ways in which energy can be transferred from the filament when it is operating normally.
(c) If the light bulb is now connected to a 240 V supply it will work for perhaps an hour as a 160 W bulb before its filament breaks.
(i) How will the relative importance of the answers you have given to (b) change when the bulb is run on this increased voltage?
(ii) Suggest a reason why this bulb can operate for so long a time before its filament breaks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) i calculated the current using P = IV

(b) the different ways are : conduction, convection and radiation.

(c)(i) I can't understand what the question asks

(ii) I am thinking that maybe it's because the increase in current is small. the current flowing increases from 0.33A to 0.66A

Physics news on Phys.org
c) is asking how the importance of each conduction, convection and radiation, change when the bulbs voltage increases. For example, perhaps it will begin to emit more energy as heat rather than light?

ah well, i suppose the heat transferred by all of these ways will increase because the current increases?! is it right?

Kushal said:
ah well, i suppose the heat transferred by all of these ways will increase because the current increases?! is it right?

Have you learned anything about the black body emission, and how it depends on temperature?

errmm no. I'm going to google that. thanks

What is energy transfer in a bulb?

Energy transfer in a bulb refers to the process of converting electrical energy into light and heat energy within a light bulb. This occurs through the flow of electrons from the negative to positive terminal in the bulb's circuit, which causes the filament to heat up and emit light.

How does energy transfer happen in a bulb?

Energy transfer in a bulb occurs through the process of incandescence, where the filament is heated to a high temperature, causing it to emit light. This process is made possible by the presence of a vacuum or inert gas inside the bulb, which prevents the filament from burning out.

What factors affect energy transfer in a bulb?

The efficiency of energy transfer in a bulb can be affected by several factors, such as the type and quality of the filament, the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the design of the bulb. The presence of impurities or gases within the bulb can also impact the transfer of energy.

How is energy transfer measured in a bulb?

Energy transfer in a bulb is typically measured in terms of luminous efficacy, which is the ratio of light output (in lumens) to power input (in watts). This can vary depending on the type of bulb and its wattage, with more efficient bulbs having a higher luminous efficacy.

What are some applications of energy transfer in bulbs?

The transfer of energy in bulbs has a wide range of applications, including lighting homes and buildings, powering electronic devices, and illuminating streets and highways. Energy-efficient bulbs, such as LED and compact fluorescent bulbs, are also commonly used to reduce energy consumption and save costs.