1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Transfer of Waves/Sound

1. Aug 4, 2003 #1
    Ah....yet more questions...

These are some questions from my last assignment for the semester- I figured I would finish it all up before I head off the competitions for the next month. Again- I feel fairly confident with my answers- but I have had so much trouble in physics that I sometimes second-guess my work. Any help and/or comments would be great!!!

1) True or False. The period of a body in simple harmonic motion is independent of its mass.

2) True or False. At resonance, very little energy is required to obtain a larger amplitude.

*How exactly can you tell the difference (from drawings) as to whther or not they show complete of partial constructive/destructive interference? How do the direction of the forces make a difference?*

3) The air temperature is 10* C. What is the wavelength of a sound emitted by a tuning fork having a frequency of 440 Hz?

Using the equation V= (wavelegth)(frequency) as my base I first decided to find the frequency. To do this I used 331+.6(10) which is 337 m/s. I then substituted this into the equation and solved as follows: 337= w (440)
    337/440= .765 m
    is this correct?

4) The wavelength of a wave generated by an AM broadcasting station is 405 m. In KHz, what is the frequency of the wave?

Using 331 as the base velocity I used 331= 405 f
    331/405=.817= 817 KHz
    I think this sounds about right....

5) A sound pulse is directed from one airplane to another that is 1255 m away. A reflected pulse is detected 8 seconds after the original pulse was transmitted. What is the temperature of the air surrounding the plane?

V=d/t......d= 1255(2)=2510m
    t= 8 s
    V= 2510/8= 313.75
    I then use 331 + .6x= 313.75 to find the temperature.
    The resulting answer is -28.75 * C.....is this right?

6) A Wave having a frequency of 2 Hz is generated along a spring. The wave has a wavelength of .457 m. What is the speed of the wave along this spring?

Here I am presuming "speed" to mean velocity. V= 2(.457)= .91 m/s
    Does this sound correct?

7) /a sonar signal of frequency 1005 Hz has a wavelength of 145 cm in water, What is the velocity in water?

Again I use the equation V= Wavelength(F)
    145 cm= 1.45 m so V= (1005)(1.45)
    The answer is 1.46 x 10^3 m/s; correct?

Thank you so much for your time!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2003 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?