Calculating Maximum Speed of a Child on a Swing

• Thread starter pinkyjoshi65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses using conservation of energy and trigonometry to calculate the maximum speed of a child swinging on a swing. The student suggests using the motion of the swing as a pendulum and taking into account gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. The conversation also touches upon the importance of using variables rather than numerical values for a better understanding of the physics involved. The final answer is 3.86m/s, with some minor discrepancies due to rounding.
pinkyjoshi65
Energy transforations!

A student swings on a swing so that his centre of mass is located 2.2 m from the rest point where the rope is attached to the rail. If he swings so that his maximum amplitude causes the rope to make an angle of 49° with the vertical, calculate the child's maximum speed during the swing.

I don't know where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
ok...i've got a slight idea..we have to take the motion of the spring as a pendulum..

use conservation of energy. gravitational potential energy... kinetic energy.

ok..soo at the equlibrium position, we use total energy=mgh where h is 2.2m, and at the new postition the total energy is 0.5mv^2 yes..?

pinkyjoshi65 said:
ok..soo at the equlibrium position, we use total energy=mgh where h is 2.2m, and at the new postition the total energy is 0.5mv^2 yes..?

almost there... 2.2m is not your h. 2.2m is the length of the rope (not exactly but it is the distance from the joint to the center of mass of the child)...

How high above the bottom does the child's center of mass reach? use 2.2m, 49 degrees and trig. that would be your h.

ok..so i use tan49= h/2.2, hence i can find h..but what abt the mass ??..and wait should'nt the energy at the equilibrium position be the kinetic energy, since h is 0..?

so when i take the total energy at the equilibrium position as the kinetic energy, and the total energy at the other position as the potential energy, and solve them, i got v as 7.04m/sec..is tht ok..?

ok..soo by doing that i got v as 3.86m/s

pinkyjoshi65 said:
ok..soo by doing that i got v as 3.86m/s

looks good. I get 3.851m/s though... it's just the rounding.

If [tex] l [/tex] is the length of the rope then, the height will be [tex] h = l(1 - \cos{\theta} ) [/tex]
The velocity of the boy is then simply [tex] \sqrt{2gh} [/tex] at the equilibrium position. At equilibrium position the velocity of a pendulum is maximum, so that's what you're looking for.
You get the equation by using simple conservation laws. (That of the potential energy at the height and the kinetic energy at the bottom.
I know you've got the answer, but I'm just reiterating the facts so that it becomes clear why you do what you do.
Moreover try to use variables rather than direct numerical values, you'll miss the physics involved, and it might get complicated unnecessarily.

1. What is an energy transformation?

An energy transformation is a process in which energy changes from one form to another. This can occur in many different ways, such as through heat, light, or motion.

2. What are the different types of energy transformations?

There are several types of energy transformations, including mechanical, thermal, electrical, and chemical transformations. Examples of these include a car engine converting chemical energy into mechanical energy, a light bulb converting electrical energy into light and heat energy, and a stove converting thermal energy into heat energy.

3. Why are energy transformations important?

Energy transformations are important because they allow us to use energy in different ways and to power various processes and technologies. They also play a crucial role in maintaining balance in ecosystems and the Earth's climate.

4. How do energy transformations relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that energy transformations must follow these laws, and the total amount of energy in a system must remain constant.

5. Can energy transformations be reversed?

In most cases, energy transformations are irreversible, meaning that once energy has been converted into a different form, it cannot be converted back. However, some processes, such as photosynthesis, can reverse energy transformations.